NEW LATHE GUY ALREADY MAKING $$$$

riversidedan

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
Been playing with model airplanes 50 yrs and got the lathe bug, so picked up a grizzly 4x6 GO745 micro lathe
and have figured out how to make solid aluminum spinners from 3/4 6061.....and to my surprise have already sold some. only concerns are would like to find a QCTP to avoid making a shims, am thinking a OXA style might fit but dont wanna order one then have it be wrong. am also learning about tools and what they do which has been interesting and have a HSS set coming in the mail.

Have also looked at insert tools and think they might be good which BTW were used to make the spinners.
next project are some 6061 model car wheels, so stay tuned and keepem turnin

Attachments

• 100_3523.JPG
    100_3523.JPG
    302.6 KB · Views: 134
Last edited:
It's no wonder they are selling; The finish and packaging looks professional. You are off to a great start.

Congrats, hobbies that generate any income are the best hobbies IMO. Keep it up.

Welcome to H-M. The spinners look great.

Regarding the QCTP...... Your lathe is slight bigger that the Sherline lathes. The OXA QCTP's will fit the Sherline, if installed w/o the optional compound. Sherline's have a swing of 3.5" vs the 4" over the cross-slide of yours. Shars says the OXA QCTP's can fit up to an 8" swing (though personally I think that's a bit large for the OXA.)

So 1/2 of 4" = 2" from top of the cross slide to lathe center line....

Dimensions for the Shars OXA holder with the highest center line, is the Parting Blade holder at 0.656" (from the bottom edge of the holder to the cutting edge.)

So it looks like it should fit.

BTW, I have a OXA QCTP for my Sherline from LMS

Hope this helps.

Nice spinners! How are you making the curve? I'm guessing there's some freehand work involved?
-Mark

yes sir all free hand no taper tool involved

Welcome to H-M. The spinners look great.

Regarding the QCTP...... Your lathe is slight bigger that the Sherline lathes. The OXA QCTP's will fit the Sherline, if installed w/o the optional compound. Sherline's have a swing of 3.5" vs the 4" over the cross-slide of yours. Shars says the OXA QCTP's can fit up to an 8" swing (though personally I think that's a bit large for the OXA.)

So 1/2 of 4" = 2" from top of the cross slide to lathe center line....

Dimensions for the Shars OXA holder with the highest center line, is the Parting Blade holder at 0.656" (from the bottom edge of the holder to the cutting edge.)

So it looks like it should fit.

BTW, I have a OXA QCTP for my Sherline from LMS

Hope this helps.
will definitly check that out thanx BTW the hex bolt that holds the tool holder on this lathe is 5 mil. which leaves me to assume any QCTH bolt will be bigger, but just not sure. however I checked with LMS and they did have a QCTH which looks to be the same price as shars, so now its just if I wanna shell out the bucks and keep this existing lathe or upgrade to something bigger

Last edited:
@Riversidedan
Nice work. I too am involved with the RC world. Not quite as long as you but close. My RC flying evolved into full size eventually (see avatar). A number of full size pilots on here.
I bought my first small lathe a few years ago to make landing gear for my scale Beaufighter, but other life commitments pulled me away for a while. About ready to get back into it.

I'm on this site for very similar reasons as the op, i have 40 years building model airplanes. Some parts of what we do (pun intended) cross over into lathe/ mill needs so here we are.

Spinners look great btw.

If cost is an issue you can always make a norman style QCTP for a fraction of the cost. That's what I did. Lots of forum members have made them. Not hard to make. Can be made with just a lathe and a drill.

Back