NEW LATHE GUY ALREADY MAKING $$$$

okay, for us non-model plane/RC guys.....what's a "spinner"? :dunno:

thanks,
-brino

okay, for us non-model plane/RC guys.....what's a "spinner"? :dunno:

thanks,
-brino
It is the metal housing that covers up the propeller nut and usually flairs into the engine cowling. The spinner can also thread directly onto the engine shaft to retain the propeller (which is what the OP is making).
1615387769901.png

Here's a question for you model airplane guys and gals. Elliptical shapes are more aerodynamic and have less drag than a pointed shape. Why aren't spinners elliptical?

Most spinners are elliptical.

Like you, I have playing with these dam model aircraft for about 55 years. I got my machines originally to support the model aircraft.
Now that you got the aluminum spinners down, you can make some out of brass for those planes that need nose weight. It seems most of mine always need nose weight, there is no place farther forward to add weight and I have found that the extra flywheel weight helps most engines idle smother, more reliably and at a lower rpm.

Shows how much I know about model airplanes. And real ones for that matter. I haven't flown on an airplane in years. And after a couple of down right scary incidents I much prefer to stay on the ground.

Most spinners are elliptical.

I have found that the extra flywheel weight helps most engines idle smother, more reliably and at a lower rpm.

Oh, I love my electrics. :)
Everything I have is electric. Most are 6 or 12 cell.

Electric is for the kids, I like my noise and smoke and ease of use. I finally sold my last electric and am back to all IC engines. But that discussion is good fodder for another thread.

Total thread hijack...
A number of years back I really wanted to dive into RC planes but there is basically no where to fly where I live. The local field had fifty people on the waiting list and the meetings I went to left me with the distinct feeling that I should go away.
<hijackoff/>

I'm on this site for very similar reasons as the op, i have 40 years building model airplanes. Some parts of what we do (pun intended) cross over into lathe/ mill needs so here we are.

Spinners look great btw.
just sent you a meassge

If cost is an issue you can always make a norman style QCTP for a fraction of the cost. That's what I did. Lots of forum members have made them. Not hard to make. Can be made with just a lathe and a drill.
hey thanx yes Im interested

Back