New Lathe on the way!

Congratulations on your new lathe. Hope it is everything you wanted. Go with whatever the manufacturer recommends.

As a side note a quick Google search gave me this. Nothing about additives just grades. Screenshot_20230208-145419.png

GoVets.com has Mobil Heavy Medium (gallon) for $33 free shipping.

I did get it with the DRO. Lots of thinking on this one, was looking at a used PM (Chinese one) but got turned off of it with several comments here on the forum, and he sent me a video of it running - I heard some "ticking" that I didn't like - knowing he replaced the spindle bearings after a couple few years, my gut started telling me it wasn't a good idea. (Along with several here as stated)
Anyhoo - Huge investment for sure, especially for what I'm going to use it for, but I shouldn't ever have to worry about needing a larger or more study lathe for anything I'm going to do.
Good choice. My first lathe, a 15"x 60" btw centers was near new straight from the dealer - a big investment, that was 40 years ago. I have since picked up other machines, several in the "smok'n deal" category, but I have rarely regretted that first purchase - other than "just a little bigger would be nice", which is an endless game (a 20" swing and good sized bore would be nice). You may have jinx'd yourself by thinking you would never have to worry about needing a larger machine! Regardless, that is a super handy size machine and will always feature in your activities. I have acquired additional lathes, mills, grinders etc - but I still use that first machine, which is now very well kitted out, more than all the others combined.

Regardless what you end up doing with the equipment, that machine will serve you well for a long time. In the long run, the initial purchase price really does not matter. Make yourself as much room as you possibly can, one machine will lead to a second, then a 3rd, . . . . .

Your friend's dad wasn't wrong, but any available oil might not be a good choice for your brand new expensive machine. That machine represents your own time, work, savings, and effort. So don't deviate from the manufacturer's lubrication schedule based on that; protecting your investment is reason enough.

And anyone who thinks bar oil is similar to way oil has probably never touched either one, that's like comparing krazy glue to chocolate syrup.
I think he was talking to the small hobby end of it , I have found a gallon of iso 32 finally that was not a small fortune.
If I had a $15000 brand new machine Im going to say the cost of correct oil would be of no concern.
Heck 30wt non detergent was hard enough to find and the iso was a accident. That gallon will out last me

Since you're new to machining, the lubricants will be the first of many questions you have about how to accessorize your new lathe. Maybe the attached will be of value to you in this regard - it includes toward the end my personal preferences for lubricants. BTW, congratulation- glad you got the Eisen. Let me know if I can help.

Attachments

• Machine Tooling Get Started List December2022.pdf
    168.6 KB · Views: 12
What oil? Follow the manual for the machine.

R&O Turbine oil is typically called out for the gearboxes. There are various equivalent brands. The weight will be speced in the manual. This is lubricating oil, which is different from hydraulic oil.

This oil cross reference chart may help...

Please read the manual/and or speak to Eisen if you want to verify things like oils and settings. I would not use bar oil, any motor oil, mutli-grade oil, any detergent oil or any oil used in cars like gearbox/differntial oil, any oil with extreme pressure additives, etc. Use machine gear oil, these typically will have anti-foaming and anti corrosion/rust inhibitors. Splash lubrication in machines relies on the oils being splashed/pulled up by the gears and running in channels to bearings/gears. Too high an oil viscosity increases drag and may compromise oil flowing to the bearings. You will find that most manual lathe manufactures in the size lathe will use an ISO32 gear oil in the headstock, and ISO68 gear oil in the gearbox/carriage and way oil for the sliding surfaces. Some way oils are also suitable for gearboxes so can serve as dual use. In my lathe the carriage also has a pump gallery to the ways so the same oil is used for both. Way oil has tachifiers that help it stick and also provide a film thickness, but you do not want to use things like chainsaw oil which is too sticky and will trap grit and metal particles which will not be displaced by the wipers. Getting the right balance is the reason why one uses way oil that is designed for the type of sliding surface.

Mobil, is the standard current "named oil" used, but manufactures state or equivalent so Shell, Chevron/Standard, Exxon, etc. all have "gear oil" and "way oil". With regard to gear oil, you will also see hydraulic oil of the same ISO used interchangeably, in most cases the hydraulic oil is also listed for use with straight cut gears and they both can be used. There are some difference between the two with regard to how they deal with moisture and the additive package, if you change your oil regularly it should not make any difference which you use.

Headstock almost always uses an ISO 32 oil, Mobile DTE 24, Mobil DTE light
Gearbox and Carriage use an ISO 68 oil, Mobile DTE 26, Mobile DTE heavy/medium, way oils specified for use with gears
Ways/Sliding Horizontal Surfaces use an ISO 68 with Tachifiers - Mobile Vactra #2, Mobil Vacuoline 1409 (this is also rated for gears and can be used in the gearbox and carriage)

Given that you headstock probably takes a gallon or less, and the carriage/gearbox half a gallon, it probably just pays to get 1 gallon jugs if you can find it at a reasonable price, otherwise a 5 gallon pale. Oils I use are below, I did find that the Vacuoline 1409 worked better (lasted longer and less sliding resistance) than Vactra #2, and it is also rated for low speed gears. I was able to pick it up locally at an oil distributor, so saved on shipping. Other oil manufactures can also be used, there are many equivalent alternatives.

Headstock
Gearbox, carriage and ways
Thanks @mksj

Reactions: tjb
Since you're new to machining, the lubricants will be the first of many questions you have about how to accessorize your new lathe. Maybe the attached will be of value to you in this regard - it includes toward the end my personal preferences for lubricants. BTW, congratulation- glad you got the Eisen. Let me know if I can help.
Thanks @davidpbest, I may just take you up on your offer when the time comes.

I understand that you put out a lot of money for your new machine, but you will reap the benefits of this investment for the rest of your life.

>>Money well spent!!

Back