New Lathe on the way!

Petrochemical companies are exempt from telling you what's in their products. It's all proprietary to them. Water is proprietary, because even their water is specially processed (water plus 20 degrees centigrade, that's the secret recipe).

The only law is the one that requires them to itemized the listed HAZMAT. The list that was created and maintained by NIOSH and was cut by 2/3rds due to an aggressive congressional action (see "Vacated PELs" for reference) leaving only the short list of known hazardous chemicals from the 1970's original act. Industry won big, if they invent a chemical they don't need to tell you anything about it, even if it is toxic, because it's not on the list. Does anyone know how many chemicals have been invented since the 1970s?

Sure, there are exceptions like isocyanates, PFOA, and other critical stuff that's come up, but that again is an extremely short list.

Any of the major brands will be just fine, the important thing is make sure you are using the correct type and viscosity for your machine. Avoid anything with detergents, they will suspend contaminants and you want them to settle out.

If you have a Napa auto parts store nearby, they carry or should be able to get what you need, at least my local one does. You can bring the manual of the lathe in with you and they should be able to cross reference it.

Another source is McMaster-Carr, but with shipping rates what they are, that could get pricey, so I use local sources whenever possible.

@jareese Congratulations on the new lathe!! You will love it.
As far as the manual is concerned, I will warn you that it is not much of a manual. I ended up downloading the PM1440GT manual from Precision Matthews. They are essentially the same machine except for headstock bore. I will look at my Eisen manual, see what the oil recommendations are, and get back to you.

As far as the manual is concerned, I will warn you that it is not much of a manual. I ended up downloading the PM1440GT manual from Precision Matthews. They are essentially the same machine except for headstock bore. I will look at my Eisen manual, see what the oil recommendations are, and get back to you.
So crazy even ar $10k plus manuals are not “that good”
The price differences for these “same” lathes also give heed to finding out just why is one $10k vs $15k and essentially the same product out of the same factory.
Might come down to support / and options like stated spindle bore size.

I know that lathe manufacture lean towards selling to those that have enough formal training to get the lathe up and running, well lets hope so. Lol
Looking forward to seeing what you do OP

Thank you sir, and yes I agree, the PM1440GT manual is fantastic (was reading through it when I was contemplating the purchase)

Good choice. My first lathe, a 15"x 60" btw centers was near new straight from the dealer - a big investment, that was 40 years ago. I have since picked up other machines, several in the "smok'n deal" category, but I have rarely regretted that first purchase - other than "just a little bigger would be nice", which is an endless game (a 20" swing and good sized bore would be nice). You may have jinx'd yourself by thinking you would never have to worry about needing a larger machine! Regardless, that is a super handy size machine and will always feature in your activities. I have acquired additional lathes, mills, grinders etc - but I still use that first machine, which is now very well kitted out, more than all the others combined.

Regardless what you end up doing with the equipment, that machine will serve you well for a long time. In the long run, the initial purchase price really does not matter. Make yourself as much room as you possibly can, one machine will lead to a second, then a 3rd, . . . . .

@Chipper5783 Out of interest, what was that first lathe?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

An Enterprise 1550. It is not a heavy industrial machine by any stretch of one’s imagination. It is about 2600 pounds, only 1.6” spindle bore, 3MT in the tailstock. In my experience it has been a good machine.

Hey @jareese . I did not forget about getting back to you regarding the Eisen lathe manual. The thing of it is, I can't find it. I thought it was in my lathe 3-ring binder, but only the PM and VFD manuals are there. I thought it was in my office, but I can't find it there either. My wife "cleaned" my office a few weeks, so I can't find it. Yeah, I'm going with that; it's her fault. LOL
Below is a picture from the PM manual. For what we use these lathes for, a good non-detergent oil will do.

One final note. I see that David Best linked his book in one of his posts. I highly recommend ordering a copy. I have one, and it was well worth it.

Attachments

• PXL_20230211_173440030.jpg
    PXL_20230211_173440030.jpg
    286 KB · Views: 13
An Enterprise 1550. It is not a heavy industrial machine by any stretch of one’s imagination. It is about 2600 pounds, only 1.6” spindle bore, 3MT in the tailstock. In my experience it has been a good machine.

Thanks. Just thought it’s a good endorsement having been owned for 40 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back