new lathe won't start

Yes, there are ups & downs to it all. My old Atlas had open belts (as most of the folks lathes on this list) and the gear cover readily exposed gears just by opening the side cover. I couldn't tell you how many old-time lathes I've seen pictured here with the on-off switch mounted on the front of the bench right at waist height -bad accident waiting to happen!

On the lathes we're talking about, the ebrake and panic switch are worthwhile things. The side cover switch... not sure sure about that. Anyone who operates with open gears is taking chances -at the very least something could fall off the top of the gearbox and land in the gears. I always have the side cover on unless I'm changing gears and when that is going on, the wall power switch is off and panic switch engaged.

One of these days, I'd like to make a more convenient side cover for mine. Taking the whole thing off every time you want to change a gear is a pain!

Ray

Hey mike

I'll have to confess that the very first thing that I done to my lathe before even running or cleaning it was to by pass the cover switch by tying the two wires together. I know that I am going to here it from other safety concerned people lol.

I will have to admit there are some safety switches on some things that are important, most are with kids in mind.I am only speaking of myself and for myself, but to me safety switches are for idiots to help the manufactures against law suits. That's just my two cents and by the way if you feel more comfortable with a safety switch by all means......

I bought a jd riding lawn more a few years ago that was loaded with safety switches,I just could not stand hitting a bump and the motor stalling because the seat bounced up a little and not being able to crank w/o the brake being depressed ect ect...Basically Safety switches have there place on some things and others well that's up to the individual.

JB

Been at the Parent's for Mother's day.
The cover will need some modification regardless IMHO. It's just too much of a nuisance to get lined up right now. I probably don't have the lower bolt straightened out perfectly, but still... I'd prefer it to be a hinged setup.

I haven't done any cutting yet. Still had to get it cleaned, lubed and checked out. I'm the methodical sort I guess. :) I want to get all the directions and controls down before I try doing anything on the lathe (remember I'm a noobie at this). Had a brief scare when I engaged the carriage feed and heard a brief grind and all screws stopped. The banjo nut hadn't been adequately tightened as it turns out. Fixed it and accidentally moved the feed lever up instead of down and pulled the cross table out of bounds snapping the part attaching it to the screw. So I've already managed to break the dang thing. :banghead:

I hate it when I'm carefully wrong if you know what I mean. I'll have to see if Matt can get me a replacement. sigh.

Let me know what Matt has for you. If it's something not readily available, take a picture of what's broken and I'll make it for you.

Ray

Been at the Parent's for Mother's day.
The cover will need some modification regardless IMHO. It's just too much of a nuisance to get lined up right now. I probably don't have the lower bolt straightened out perfectly, but still... I'd prefer it to be a hinged setup.

I haven't done any cutting yet. Still had to get it cleaned, lubed and checked out. I'm the methodical sort I guess. :) I want to get all the directions and controls down before I try doing anything on the lathe (remember I'm a noobie at this). Had a brief scare when I engaged the carriage feed and heard a brief grind and all screws stopped. The banjo nut hadn't been adequately tightened as it turns out. Fixed it and accidentally moved the feed lever up instead of down and pulled the cross table out of bounds snapping the part attaching it to the screw. So I've already managed to break the dang thing. :banghead:

I hate it when I'm carefully wrong if you know what I mean. I'll have to see if Matt can get me a replacement. sigh.

[ The banjo nut hadn't been adequately tightened as it turns out. Fixed it and accidentally moved the feed lever up instead of down and pulled the cross table out of bounds snapping the part attaching it to the screw. So I've already managed to break the dang thing. :banghead:

I hate it when I'm carefully wrong if you know what I mean. I'll have to see if Matt can get me a replacement. sigh.[/QUOTE]

I feel your pain, brother.
i haven't done the exact same thing, but i'm no stranger to the black cloud of breakage.
most of the time i have hundreds of machines and just as many operators,working against me, it seems at times.
when i feel like i'm just :banghead:, i crank up the stereo system and:rocker:.
que sera, sera .
there isn't anything you can do about what is already done.
lessons come in many forms
just remember, you already learned something.

Let me know what Matt has for you. If it's something not readily available, take a picture of what's broken and I'll make it for you.
Ray
That is a fantastic gesture Ray, and I deeply appreciate it, but Matt will be sending me a replacement. He even wanted me to look for more parts that may have been damaged. His service is second to none.

Re: Safety switches; My riding mower had to have the blades stopped before it would back up!! What a PITA!!! I disconnected that feature.

Re: Safety switches; My riding mower had to have the blades stopped before it would back up!! What a PITA!!! I disconnected that feature.

Yea, my John Deere has a button you need to press before you can mow in reverse. It has a switch in the seat that I'm going to be over riding soon also.

Gary

Help me out here because I haven't used a riding mower in the past 3 decades or so...

What possible use is a button to engage the blade while in reverse? By the wildest stretch of imagination, I can't see a reason how that's helpful.

Ray

Yea, my John Deere has a button you need to press before you can mow in reverse. It has a switch in the seat that I'm going to be over riding soon also.

Gary

Believe it od not Ray many accidents happening to children and lawnmowers are caused by backing up with the blade engaged and dot looking. My Snapper will not go into reverse with the blade engaged.

"Billy G"

Help me out here because I haven't used a riding mower in the past 3 decades or so...

What possible use is a button to engage the blade while in reverse? By the wildest stretch of imagination, I can't see a reason how that's helpful.

Ray

It doesn't engage the blade. It just allows you to go in reverse with the blade engaged. If you try to go in reverse without pressing the button the motor bogs down. (not sure if it will actually stop since it reminds me to push the button)

Why would you use it? I use it all the time. My front yard is triangular. With the turning radius I always leave a wedge of uncut grass at an apex. Rather than turn in a big circle to cut it, I just back up over it to cut it. Or there is a small gap between my house and shop with no room to turn around. There are lots of other instances.

Where's your imagination Ray! :))

Gary

Back