New member with Craftsman 109. My first project

Also, I would suggest using the outer step in your chuck jaws. That hangs the part a little farther out from the spindle nose but otherwise is more stable and you won't have the outer ends of the jaws whizzing around.

Update! I was successful in parting my work piece!

412E6F48-CCE2-4174-967C-47497B61F749.jpeg 7248F2F8-1AA8-4352-953C-C276F62547BD.jpeg
4C454ECC-8555-4966-858A-5D7A57084223.jpeg B5288344-3E3C-4534-A0FD-7867255C37CD.jpeg

kept it well oiled while parting and had no issues. Only problem I did have was that once separated the part fell on the ways and got mashed by the 4 jaw and marked my work up a bit.

Wish my first parting experiences had gone that well. Nice job!

To prevent the parted-off piece from falling to the ways and potentially getting damaged or doing damage, mount a catcher of some sort in the tailstock so that the loose piece can't fall. As an example, if the step before parting off was to drill a hole through the piece being parted, back the drill bit out just far enough that the parting blade won't touch it and leave it there. It will catch the piece being parted off. If the bore of the parted off piece is important, replace the bit with a piece of solid or hollow round stock. Etc.

To prevent the parted-off piece from falling to the ways and potentially getting damaged or doing damage, mount a catcher of some sort in the tailstock so that the loose piece can't fall. As an example, if the step before parting off was to drill a hole through the piece being parted, back the drill bit out just far enough that the parting blade won't touch it and leave it there. It will catch the piece being parted off. If the bore of the parted off piece is important, replace the bit with a piece of solid or hollow round stock. Etc.

really good advice, I should have thought of that! It seems obvious now :) thank you!

Wish my first parting experiences had gone that well. Nice job!

thank you! From my reading before I got to it it seems like a pain point for a lot of machinists, even long time individuals. I chalk it up to beginners luck.

I almost hate to mention this, because we don't disparage equipment here, but I was remembering last night reading about how the spindle on this particular model is really vulnerable to getting bent by overly heavy handed operations. You may want to look into that.

Have fun with it

Well, users do need to be aware of the potential.

Back