New mill Wells-Index 745

Nothing that fancy unfortunatley, its just a small oil gun that you can use to lubricate each of the Zirk fittings with. Looks kind of like a multi-bit screw driver. Here's a link to the one I bought and am waiting for:

https://www.machinerypartsdepot.com/product/12PB20

One day I'd really like to setup a nice one-shot lube system. But I want to get the mill fully functional first and aquire a bit more tooling before I dive into that project.

In case that one is too small and requires refilling too often, I use a small grease gun from autozone for way oil on my Wells Index 747. I just removed the plunger and made a solid cap for the bottom of the grease gun where the plunger would normally be. Just have to hold the gun upside down while pumping. Works great.

I got to do my first very small project on the mill today, so it has made some productive chips now.

It was an unplanned project, the latch on my sundeck gate rusted out and broke off, making it unsafe for my toddler, so figured why wait to order a new part when I can make one with left over stuff.

Very little precision was required so it was a good first project for a novice, like me.
20200920_163804.jpg20200920_163750.jpg

Got to use both the mill nd the lathe so it was a fun little project. I must say I'm super impressed with the mill, it cuts steel like a hot knife through butter! And so far no vibration problems. Works great as a drill press too. My old drill press may never get used again. The mill is definitely my favorite tool in the shop, just need to find some more milling projects.

The 5/8 lindex endmill holder arrived from Japan this week and the push style oiler also finally arrived.
20200923_142233.jpg
The push style oiler seems to work pretty well. The one things I need to figure out is the ways on the backside of the table don't seem to be getting any oil? All the ports were well cleaned out so I can't be a blockage, there are a couple extra threaded holes on the front of the machine, I wonder if they are oil ports with the zerk fitttings missing...I'll have to swap some zerk fittings on them and find out.

Hey dmittz,

What a great thread and job you did restoring your machine. I just wanted to say thank you for the effort you put into documenting your machine and its restoration. I have a what appears to be a 745 head on a 555 mill.

The photo documentation in this thread and contributing posts is way better than the factory documentation. It's really helped me sort a few things out on my machine already.

Best,
Kelly

Hey dmittz,

What a great thread and job you did restoring your machine. I just wanted to say thank you for the effort you put into documenting your machine and its restoration. I have a what appears to be a 745 head on a 555 mill.

The photo documentation in this thread and contributing posts is way better than the factory documentation. It's really helped me sort a few things out on my machine already.

Best,
Kelly
Thank you and your very welcome Kelly, I know the factory manuals for the 745 don't provide a lot of detail for those of us that want to do a home rebuild so it had been my hope that in documenting my work it could be used as a future resource for owners of older machines I was also in the fortunate situation to be starting with a functional machine.

I should add that I really like this mill, I was just using it today and its a really great vintage machine.

This thread is priceless. Thank you for documenting with photos all this process! Bookmarked! Well, watch function enabled.

It is a priceless thread! I am cleaning up my Wells 747 and talk about dried grease, it's almost like soft beeswax! Curious why no one mentioned the way oil you ordered Vactra #4. Hmm, seems mighty thick. I thought that stuff was used on very worn machines.

It is a priceless thread! I am cleaning up my Wells 747 and talk about dried grease, it's almost like soft beeswax! Curious why no one mentioned the way oil you ordered Vactra #4. Hmm, seems mighty thick. I thought that stuff was used on very worn machines.

Humm.... you are correct... looking at the new serial number plaque I received for my 847, it calls out for Vactra Oil No. 2 for most everything... The Vactra Oil No. 4 is only used for the overarm arbor support...

IMG_4111.jpeg

looking at the new serial number plaque I received for my 847
Sorry but I must ask, how did you get a new serial number plaque? I've been in the process of figuring out ways to replicate myself.

Here's mine for comparison.
IMG_1883.jpeg

Last edited:
Sorry but I must ask, how did you get a new serial number plaque? I've been in the process of figuring out ways to replicate myself.
You can call Wells-Index. They are still in business. Give them the serial number and model number and they will provide the plate stamped. Mine was 25.75 plus shipping.

Contact​

We want to hear from you. Please fill out the contact form and we will get back to you shortly.

701 West Clay Ave.
Muskegon, MI 49440-1064
TEL: 1-800-456-7409
TEL: (231) 759-0950
FAX: (231) 728-7456
E-MAIL: sales@wellsindex.com

Back