New motor for G4003G wired differently than original...

drs23

Active User
Registered
I posted in this thread about my motor going TU. I received the replacement this A.M. I was shocked to see the distribution block when I removed the cover in order to remove the connections to transfer them to the new motor.

What I found:

DSCN0357_zpsd0facdb9.jpg

DSCN0355_zps49bafa74.jpg

I'm hoping against hope that I can get by with changing the terminal block right now so I can get a couple of jobs out today. The problem I've encountered is they're wired differently. The motor that's on the lathe now has been working since day 1 with the blue wire taped off and just hanging there.

The blue wire not connected:

DSCN0357_zpsd0facdb9.jpg

This is the way the new motor is wired. Blue wire connected to the terminal block:

DSCN0359_zps22071b6a-1.jpg

My electrical skills are right up there with my skills as a neurosurgeon, as in not my gig, at all.

What would the electrically enlightened suggest I do? My gut says to put it back the way I found it. On the other hand the last thing I need is to see smoke & sparks.

What's a mother to do? Suggestions?

Thanks,

Dale

DSCN0357_zpsd0facdb9.jpg

I'd scrape off as much of the crud as possible and reconnect the burned wire to where it looks like it goes and try that first, it would get you going.

Looks like that was your problem all along, loose terminal then overheating.

Is the motor 120/240V? Could be that's why it's wired the way it is with the blue wire unused.

The first thing I would do is to send those pictures to the whoever you got the motor from and see if they will send you a new motor. That may have been caused by loose connections but the motor could be burnt up.

There is a wiring diagram in the corner of a couple of the pictures, If you could post a good picture of that it would be helpful.

EDIT: Maybe I misunderstood which motor is which. In that case, I would wire the new motor just like the old one.

The first thing I would do is to send those pictures to the whoever you got the motor from and see if they will send you a new motor. That may have been caused by loose connections but the motor could be burnt up.

There is a wiring diagram in the corner of a couple of the pictures, If you could post a good picture of that it would be helpful.

EDIT: Maybe I misunderstood which motor is which. In that case, I would wire the new motor just like the old one.

Here ya go Jim:

DSCN0362_zpsd5654621.jpg

It's wired like the diagram on the left on both motors. The only difference being the blue wire connected on the new replacement and running wild on the old motor that's still on the lathe.

Standing by....

Thanks,

Dale

I'd scrape off as much of the crud as possible and reconnect the burned wire to where it looks like it goes and try that first, it would get you going.

Looks like that was your problem all along, loose terminal then overheating.

Is the motor 120/240V? Could be that's why it's wired the way it is with the blue wire unused.

Alan I can't be positive but I *think* so. It's set up @240v.

Is there enough slack in the wires so you can take a photo of the back of the original terminal block? I want to see if that jumper is doing anything on the new one.

I'd be inclined to wire it just like the old one but I'm used to making semi-broken things work so I'd patch up the old one first.

Is there enough slack in the wires so you can take a photo of the back of the original terminal block? I want to see if that jumper is doing anything on the new one.

I'd be inclined to wire it just like the old one but I'm used to making semi-broken things work so I'd patch up the old one first.

There's nothing left of the original. It's in 3 pieces. I'm in the process of transferring the wires now. I'll let you all know what the outcome is.

There's nothing left of the original. It's in 3 pieces. I'm in the process of transferring the wires now. I'll let you all know what the outcome is.

It'll probably be fine. And you'll have a spare motor (the old one) even if you have to wire it up using solder and electrical tape. :)

Well I got it hooked up the way it was. The motor ran but pretty noisey. Then the smoke started coming out.

Time to punt. All day invested and not one step closer. :angry:

Back