New motor for G4003G wired differently than original...

It was. Now I'm right back to the new one being wired differently. I'm going to install it the way it came wired and see what happens.
Keep your hand on the plug. A little smoke won't be too bad but you have to be very fast.

I wouldn't even install it yet, just run it on the floor to see what happens, I do that all the time to listen to bearings and stuff on old motors. I even have an outlet with a foot switch and relay.

Last edited:
Keep your hand on the plug. A little smoke won't be too bad but you have to be very fast.

I wouldn't even install it yet, just run it on the floor to see what happens, I do that all the time to listen to bearings and stuff on old motors. I even have an outlet with a foot switch and relay.

As I mentioned in my OP electrical is the furtherest thing from my strong suite. There's no way in hell I can figure out where all these 9/10 wires would go. I'll be the first to admit I'm in over my head on this one. All I feel safe doing is to install the new motor the way it came from Grizzly and cross my toes.

'Bout to go tackle it now...

Here ya go Jim:

It's wired like the diagram on the left on both motors. The only difference being the blue wire connected on the new replacement and running wild on the old motor that's still on the lathe.

Standing by....

Thanks,

Dale

Sorry, I have been out in the shop most of the day.

My guess is that the blue wire is for the reverse function. That particular motor is 220V only so that makes it a bit simpler. There should only be 4 wires coming out of the motor U1, V1, Z1, and Z2. The Z wires I think are the forward and reverse.

You should be safe wiring the new motor up like the old motor. Are any of the wires coming out of the motor identified?

EDIT: As near as I can tell from searching the net, the the way the new motor is connected seems to be correct.

Last edited:
I have the same motor on my lathe & mill. If wired for 220v there is supposed to be one wire not connected. If wired for 110v all the wires are connected & the jumpers are configured differently. My jumpers are configured like yours which is for 220v. I don't have a Grizzly so my wire colors are most likely different. The wire not connected for me is gray, marked Z1.

My mill came wired for 110v & I changed it to 220v, again, left one wire not connected.

This might help you although it's for PMs.

http://www.machinetoolonline.com/files/PM-45M_110-220_wiring_diagrams.pdf

Figure 60 on Page 47 of the G4003G manual shows the blue wire as not connected.

MK

To update.

I've wired the new motor now like the old one was per the suggestions here as well as Grizzly Tech Support. The blue wire coming from the motor is in lieu of the black one that was on the original motor. Everything is now back the way it should be. The jumper on the new terminal block was removed per the Grizzly tech.

I plugged it in and tried to power it up. The green "Power" on the far right light comes on but when I push the "Power Start" button next to the emergency/reset switch I get nothing.

Still dead in the water waiting to hear from Tech Support after sending them pics.

:whistle:

Re: New motor for G4003G wired differently than original...LATE UPDATE

I finally got the gremlins chased out of my lathe!

Just to recap: My issue was first diagnosed as a bad capacitor. It was because there was sticky grey goo oozing out of the seam. No problem, Grizzly had a replacement here in two days. Not bad, except that wasn't it.

It was caused by a loose connection from the factory here:

DSCN0368_zps48931a82.jpg

Since the cap didn't fix it they sent me a replacement motor. It didn't work either.:angry:

After spending quite a while on the phone with the head electrical tech he determined I needed this transformer:

DSCN0371_zpsad4507e9.jpg

That wasn't it. It was then determined that the culprit had to be the forward/reverse switch (which is a PIA to change!:

DSCN0372_zpsd4d45a5e.jpg

That wasn't it.

After a bunch of jumping wires/connections there was an outside chance that the reset switch could be the issue. This little bit of kit did the trick:

DSCN0375_zps0306fc9d.jpg

I'm very pleased now. During this ordeal I learned I had a motor from the factory with bad bearings! Before they replaced the motor they had me remove the motor from the lathe and disassemble it to check the contactors. I had to pull the end and the fan off to get to it. It ended up being on the other end of the motor but no biggie. It gave me a chance to at least check the bearings. They were a little rusty but they were as grumbly as hell! My lathe had a slight vibration as I keep a mag base dial indicator on the headstock and the needle has always danced and I could feel a slight feedback through the levers. After reading here and elsewhere as well as consulting with my friend Tom I accepted that this was a light lathe and it must just be the nature of the beast.

Well guess whut? It ain't! After getting this motor finally running (and in the right direction!) I HAVE A NEW LATHE! My dial indicator no longer bounces the needle! The lathe is so smooth it's like it's not even running as compared to before!

I just turned these parts yesterday and this is the way they came. They haven't been polished/finished with emory cloth, file sandpaper...nothing. I've never been able to get this kind of finish. This is exactly what they looked like outta the chuck:

DSCN0385_zps31ece677.jpg

Thanks a million guys for all the guidance and suggestions. I'm now, after the nightmare, a very happy, happy guy!

Thanks again,

Dale

Glad you got it sorted out. I just un-crated mine and will be setting it up next week. Before I plug it in I will be sure to check all the electrical connections.

John

Glad you got it sorted out. I just un-crated mine and will be setting it up next week. Before I plug it in I will be sure to check all the electrical connections.

John

You Sir will be doing yourself a LARGE FAVOR! I wish I'd known to do that but as they say "All's well that ends well" and this saga certainly did. I wish I hadn't had to endure it but I'm much better off now with a top notch machine. I'm very pleased.

I neglected to mention after the new motor fiasco I mentioned that my wife has a good attorney friend drafting a letter. I mentioned that Texas is a 'Lemon Law State'. After that I didn't have to wait days for the replacement parts which were shipped one at a time. They started sending everything afterwards 'Red Label'. I had the remainder of the parts first thing the next A.M.

Grizzly does have excellent customer service. I've got to give them props for that. They earned it in my book.

Dale

Back