New Old Continental Band Saw.............

brino

Confirmed Tool User
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
A few months ago I found this old Continental bandsaw at a local store.

continental1.jpg continental2.jpg

It had been used for cutting wood, I wanted it for metal.
With the original blade it cut that piece of pine when powered by one finger in the wheel spokes.

My current vertical, metal-cutting bandsaw was homemade (not by me) and I always noticed a flex in the frame.
old_saw.jpg

You can tell by all the cut-offs on the table that it certainly has been useful.

The upper wheel would actually move closer to the lower wheel in pulses as the wheel turned. I suspect one wheel is eccentric, and I always meant to fix that.......but.....when I saw the heavy frame on this Continental saw I decided it was simply time to upgrade.

This frame won't flex!
continental4.jpg saw_back.jpg

However, the "new" saw is so heavy that I think it would crush the plywood box that the other saw sat on.
I needed to find something stronger.

I took the Continental saw off of it's old base:
old_base.jpg

and dug out this old heavy frame that I picked up when my in-laws moved.....
base1.jpg

base2.jpg

It originally had a wood table top in that angle frame, but it was rotten from being stored outside...
I also had to replace the ball-bearings in the swivel castors they were seized tight.
I added the two (unpainted and with chalk marks) internal horizontal pieces of 2" x 1/4" angle for the saw to sit on.
That gets the band saw table to about 46" from the floor comfortable for me.

There's more to come....stay tuned.

-brino

Attachments

• continental4.jpg
    continental4.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 15
  • saw_back.jpg
    saw_back.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 16
  • saw_back.jpg
    saw_back.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 15
Here are a few details of the "new" band saw.

The wheels are 19" diameter, and the table is about 16 x 16".
It takes 125" blades.

It turns so smoothly that when I fit a newly silver-soldered blade I cut thru some scrap while turning the wheel with one finger.
That was 1/4" x 1" flat bar and some 3/8" round bar.

There is some info on VintageMachinery here:
http://vintagemachinery.org/photoindex/detail.aspx?id=33955

Here's the upper blade tilt and blade tension adjustments:
adjustment1.jpg

Here's the 16 x 16 inch table:
table_top.jpg

The blade insert is actually a piece of lead that's been peened below the table:
table_bottom1.jpg

Here's the original pulley:
rear_pulley.jpg

and another shot of the top wheel:
top_wheel.jpg

still more to come!
-brino

Last edited:
Like I said, I actually bought the Continental saw a few months ago, but other projects were holding it up.

I finally decided that I couldn't wait any longer because I was out of floor space. I had
1) the old homemade vertical metal-cutting bandsaw on its plywood box,
2) this "new" Continental saw just sitting UN-moveable on the floor,
3) that old frame empty and in the way, and
4) the engine hoist brought into the shop from the shed to help with the transfer.

I could barely move in the shop.....I had to walk sideways to get anywhere!

I got some paint on the new frame/base and bolted the saw in:
painted_base.jpg

painted_base2.jpg

Then I took the engine hoist back to the shed.
Finally I could move around the shop better.

I still need to get a motor hooked up, and get rid of that home-made saw.
I offered it to a friend that will give it a good home......

-brino

For a motor, I'm thinking of this one saved from one of those free treadmills that I junked a while ago.

motor1.jpg

motor2.jpg

I still have to mount it in the frame and I'm hoping to leave space in the bottom for some much-needed storage.
Also, I need to rig something to replace the approx. 2' x 1' control panel that currently runs it.

Those probably won't be soon, too many projects......but at least I can walk thru the shop.....

-brino

Sweet! That table surface looks like it's been turned instead of the usual ground finish. I've never seen that before.

Cool machine, and from Montreal too boot!

-f

Nice find, That Saw is Gorgeous! Cant wait to see the modifications you plan to do.

Congrats on the new saw Brino! Yup, vertical bandsaws are the bomb. So you're going to set it up for metal? Or wood or both? I'm interested to see how a treadmill motor would do over time with the dust, swarf at low speed if used for wood and metal. I'm going to keeping an eye on this.

Beautiful saw, Brino! It looks more solid and aesthetically pleasing than any modern bandsaw I've seen, that's for sure. Congrats!!

Thanks everyone for all the comments and support!

It looks more solid and aesthetically pleasing than any modern bandsaw I've seen, that's for sure. Congrats!!

I want to cover the bottom wheel for safety, but almost hate to because of the beautiful spokes.

-brino

Back