new (old) logan 920

Ok...I understand what you're saying. I think it should have threaded holes for the switch mount so you don't have nuts inside the case....I could be wrong on that. I have gone through the clearance issues when trying to determine what length belt to use. There may be a little give in the belt housing if you loosen the two bolts in the back of the housing. You may be able to pick up another 1/8" of clearance. I've had housings that had an extra set of holes drilled to offset the housing it a bit. You could probably get rid of the funky latch that some previous owner made and replace it with a piece of 3M dual lock. The stuff is like velcro on steroids.

Chuck

if its not too much trouble, would you mind measuring spring #51 in the turret?

I'll have to look in a manual a figure out what spring your looking for. For some reason I was thinking 10" logan...but yours is an 11" if the "9" in the model number is any indication. I do have a complete turret from an 11" machine, so if I have the time tomorrow and its not a major project to get the spring out, I'll get you some measurements.

Chuck

Thanks

I replaced the too short flat belt with a link belt from harbor freight and it fixed my clearance issue with the v-belt and is running nicely. Next on the list is the V-belt and turret, then I'll see about the gearbox and compound (and possibly a tailstock)

Ok, I dug the turret out and took it apart today. I found a parts breakdown in one of the manuals I have and I see the #51 spring you mentioned. The spring in the turret I have looks nothing like the one pictured. It's a piece of flat spring steel rather than the coil spring pictured in the manual. I looked all over the shop for my camera today and couldn't locate it, so I can't show you a pic. I'm sure it's right where I left it....hopefully I can find it tomorrow and post a pic. I have a turret from a 10" also but I don't think it's exactly the same. I didn't know harbor freight sold link belts. I bought some online. Nice belts, but they are pricey. I spent the money for the endless belt that Scott Logan sells for the last 820 I had. It's a really quiet running belt, but the price is kind of hard to justify. If you can find a serpentine that's the right length they work really well. The problem I've run into with serpentine belts that I buy from NAPA is that the lengths vary as much as an inch. I got tired of returning belts that they special ordered for me. When I find my camera I'll post pics of the cross slide and compound parts I have also.

Chuck

I found my camera. Here's pics of the spring. The cross slide and compound I have are from a 10" lathe, so I didn't bother taking pics.

t1.JPG t2.JPG t3.JPG t4.JPG

Thanks. I think I'll just make a spring from some spring steel
I took a look in the quick change gearbox and there are two 16/32 tooth double gears with stripped 16 tooth gears. Since there aren't any on ebay, I'm going to attempt to make my own. It appears that the 32 tooth gear was pressed onto the 16 tooth gear so I don't believe it should be too difficult

Those parts are from a 10" lathe. I don't know if they are the same as the 11" compound. If they are, you could probably buy a whole parts machine for the price he wants for the items listed.

Chuck

where would be a good place to look for a parts machine?

Back