New PM-1228VF-LB

Aukai -- all things considered, I'm feeling pretty good about the 1228. Fifteen years ago a similar import lathe would have had 10X more things to do!

Mike -- this carriage stop is a clamp style with a SHCS holding the top and bottom parts together.

Most carriage stops clamp to the ways with screws or bolts. I'm talking about a screw that runs horizontally that allows you to fine-tune the point at which the carriage stops. Like this:

2705.480.jpg

There should be some provision for this. There are all sorts of fancier ones, from sliding pins to micrometer dials, but there is always some fine-tuning device.

Mike -- nothing like that here but maybe I'll add it along with an adjustable-position handle like in your picture. Here's the stop that came with the 1228:

Clamp.jpg

Wow! First, that stop doesn't even fit the ways of your lathe, and second, you're right - no bolt. I would not use that thing. Make one yourself before you damage the ways. Here is how the stop contours should fit the ways:

IMG_4872.jpg

PM me if you're not sure how to make one.

It may be that the stop in the StormForge's pic was not sitting correctly so I wouldn't worry yet, Aukai. If it sits flat on the ways then you can just drill and tap for a bolt and you should be good.

The profile looks good but oversized.

Bob is right; its the angles that must fit.

I made this one for my friend's Emco Compact 8 because Emco never made one. There are springs under the brass washers that lift the locking plate away from the ways so you can just slip the stop off the lathe. It is made from 6061-T6, which is more than strong enough for this application.

IMG_4888.jpg

The stop does fit (it's just loose in the pic). It's pretty narrow in profile, however, and it also stops the carriage by impacting the wiper... It could certainly be significantly improved. I like the pictures I see above!

Back