New PM-1236T Lathe has arrived

Having been in the same position years ago, I ended up with the 1340GT because I previously had a Chinese mainland mill and regretted all the fit and finish issues. If you have the fund's buy the best you can. Also, do not count what comes with the lathe, chances are the more you get the cheaper it is. Buy better, buy less. The 4J Chinese chuck that came with my previous lathe was junk.
Hi there, this is my first time using this forum and I have a lot to learn still about it. Quick question I'm hoping you folks could answer if you know. When ordering a lathe with a 51mm through spindle bore that does that mean that you can slide a 50mm round stock through the spindle all the way through the spindle. Or does that cited dimension not take into account the parts resulting in an actual smaller diameter workpiece fit?

When ordering a lathe with a 51mm through spindle bore that does that mean that you can slide a 50mm round stock through the spindle all the way through the spindle. Or does that cited dimension not take into account the parts resulting in an actual smaller diameter workpiece fit?

Yes you’d be able to slide a 50mm bar through the spindle. It is possible that you’d have a chuck with a smaller central bore though, so being able to use the full spindle bore depends on also using a chuck with a sufficiently large bore.

Yes you’d be able to slide a 50mm bar through the spindle. It is possible that you’d have a chuck with a smaller central bore though, so being able to use the full spindle bore depends on also using a chuck with a sufficiently large bore.
Thank you Sir! Is it Melvin or Mr. Melvin? My name is Kirk, I'm here on NC/VA border near Danville, VA but on NC side. This is the recent photo of a machine I'm having built in China.....doesn't look like 51mm to me (as was ordered). Not sure how they correct at this point, other than complete disassembly. I'm going to have to have it inspected by outside agency before I ok the finish.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-03-17 at 8.05.21 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-03-17 at 8.05.21 AM.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 75
Thank you Sir! Is it Melvin or Mr. Melvin? My name is Kirk, I'm here on NC/VA border near Danville, VA but on NC side. This is the recent photo of a machine I'm having built in China.....doesn't look like 51mm to me (as was ordered). Not sure how they correct at this point, other than complete disassembly. I'm going to have to have it inspected by outside agency before I ok the finish.

Jason Melvin, but I’m not picky about what people call me.

Yea, that doesn’t look like 51mm to me either.

I suppose anyone could have their own definition of “spindle bore” but it’s always been my understanding that a certain spindle bore would pass a long bar of up to that size.

Jason Melvin, but I’m not picky about what people call me.

Yea, that doesn’t look like 51mm to me either.

I suppose anyone could have their own definition of “spindle bore” but it’s always been my understanding that a certain spindle bore would pass a long bar of up to that size.
Ok Jason - thanks, I appreciate you. My take is that it's supposed to handle a 2" round bar. We'll see....I'll keep you posted. Do you have a PM Lathe? They're definitely one of the good US importers for sure (for Asia made machines).

Ok Jason - thanks, I appreciate you. My take is that it's supposed to handle a 2" round bar. We'll see....I'll keep you posted. Do you have a PM Lathe? They're definitely one of the good US importers for sure (for Asia made machines).

I don’t have a PM lathe. I have a PM bench mill, a Bridgeport-clone mill, a grizzly 10x22 lathe, and a 12x36 Clausing. My mill has been a good experience with PM.

The caliper jaws he is using don’t appear to line up with the ones on the other side. If the caliper was fully closed, it looks like the jaws he is using would have a length between them of approximately 10mm, so that might be an actual measurement of 50+ mm.

The caliper jaws he is using don’t appear to line up with the ones on the other side.

Good catch, and I feel silly for not noticing; it does seem like you can see the alignment and it would make sense for ID measurement to need a +10 mm correction.

Good catch, and I feel silly for not noticing; it does seem like you can see the alignment and it would make sense for ID measurement to need a +10 mm correction.
That still does not quite add up. There is apparently a 10mm adjustment of measurement on the scale for ID measuring. The reference point is sitting at 37mm for OD. Adding 10mm onto that only gives you 47mm, which is obviously short of the 51mm. I think that bore ID is 47mm.

That still does not quite add up. There is apparently a 10mm adjustment of measurement on the scale for ID measuring. The reference point is sitting at 37mm for OD. Adding 10mm onto that only gives you 47mm, which is obviously short of the 51mm. I think that bore ID is 47mm.
It’s at 42, you need to use the 0 on the movable scale as the zero point.

Back