New PM-1236T Lathe has arrived

The XL version of that BXA tool holder lowers the bottom ledge the tool rests on by 0.125”. The part number will be 250-201XL. It’s sized specifically to accept 3/4” shanked tools by simply lowering the bottom ledge. PM sells them as do several others.

It looks like the bottom shelf is 1/2" thick, same as the standard 250-201. So a 5/8" tool would be at the same height, right?

Well this is disappointing. I bought the MagXact Magnetic MX-200L 2 Axis Lathe LCD DRO for my lathe. I was watching an installation video (see DRO Pros on YouTube for installation videos) and I realized my cross slide has a locking screw and sure enough the X Axis DRO scale covers it. I don't want to give up the locking feature. That screw pushes on the gib to lock the slide. I can't figure out a way to have both the locking feature and the DRO. I would rather give up the DRO and keep the cross slide locking feature if I can't have both. I thought about notching the scale extrusion (crazy I know), but there is still not enough space above the hole. I bought this lathe (PM-1236T 12″x36″ Ultra Precision Lathe) to make model engines, so I want accuracy. And locking the carriage and cross slide are important for doing accurate work.

Cross Slide Locking Screw.jpg

Mount the scale on the chuck side of the cross slide? It'll give a more accurate reading directly under your cutting tool as well. I guess it depends on the work you do, but personally, my spinning chuck never gets even close to hitting the cross slide, so I don't know why people freak out about mounting a DRO scale there. That's where I'd have mounted mine, if it wouldn't have blocked the follow rest mounting points on my Summit.

Mount the scale on the chuck side of the cross slide? It'll give a more accurate reading directly under your cutting tool as well. I guess it depends on the work you do, but personally, my spinning chuck never gets even close to hitting the cross slide, so I don't know why people freak out about mounting a DRO scale there. That's where I'd have mounted mine, if it wouldn't have blocked the follow rest mounting points on my Summit.
The steady rest mounting holes are on the chuck side.

This has been addressed in the past, there are several options, one is to stand the scale off with spacers and make a shallow hex nut for a wrench, mount the scale horizontal, or just make a lock that mounts to a follow rest which is what I use. It is simple and easy to make. QED.

This has been addressed in the past, there are several options, one is to stand the scale off with spacers and make a shallow hex nut for a wrench, mount the scale horizontal, or just make a lock that mounts to a follow rest which is what I use. It is simple and easy to make. QED.
Does that just push against the dovetail ways?

It is friction against the outer wall of the cross slide, which also locks it against the dovetail. Pretty much the same as the Gibb lock pushes against the dovetail on the tailstock side. Since I use bronze for the lock it wears vs. the cast iron face. Did this on my 1340GT for many years and the locking position stayed the same, so no wear. If you are shooting for accurate diameter turning, you need a cross slide lock to prevent any movement when turning down a part.

That's two good options for me to choose. Thank you.

Back