New Pm 932 Pdf Set Up :)

Last edited:
Had some down time last 2 weeks with the motor on the new mill.. That problem is now fixed and i am up and running .Not much time to work in the garage this week had some family issues to care for. Well i did make some grounds over weekend as i checked the tram on the mill . I decided to try my brand new used indicator that i acquired from e bay . (Couldn't pass it up). Its a vintage indicator made in England . called Yup " Spot on" And to my surprise the table to mill column is under .0005 . Best i can check with this instrument .
Ohh! did fig a way to adjust quill down feed accurately altho its still not calibrated correctly .. thought i was going to need to make modify something with a quill stop... for use of gauge blocks like a BP mill. The PM 932 PDF does not have an accurate quill Z stop Bc it has the power feed option . You can adjust the down feed release clutch . But need to do so by dial which is not calibrated .

OK on to my first project what better place to start but for the mill . The PM 932 PDF does not have a knee . The column moves up and down with a Z axis motor (in rapid) but also has a hand crank with no way of incrementing measurement without a Z axis DRO. Maybe the future ill add one but for now this idea will do. Besides I always preferred a dial gauge over a DRO.

For heavy cuts and accurate milling operations I prefer to have the quill locked in the upper most position . Yet still be able to feed down Z in thousands increments with use the column crank.

Here is the stupid simple idea Ive come up with . It uses a magnetic indicator base to the Z column with adjustable height. The mount for the clamp block bolts on to the tapered limit switch stop, clearing both top side and lower Z limit switches. . The 2nd clamp block has a rod that slides along the Z axis. Which adjusts for total machine Z height .

Once the column/ tooling is set up in lowest z position . This rod will be locked into place to zero indicator. Than you can use the manual crank to thousandths of an inch. The idea works great it can remain fixed as it clears everything on the column. Pics assembled coming . Btw I will prob finish up with a fine adjustment knob with a dimple to contact point of the indicator . Maybe if im fancy I may add a few details to the clamp blocks be done with and on to next project.

DSCF1350.JPG DSCF1351.JPG DSCF1352.JPG DSCF1353.JPG

Agree but My other Q is Mobil DTE heavy/Med same as 80W90 auto gear oil?
It is a 80W gear oil or 20W motor oil equivalent viscosity. I would stay with this weight for a gear head mill, any thicker and the oil will cause too much drag on the gears. An ISO 150 would be too viscous and cause significant drag and heat at higher RPMs in a gearhead. I have a different gear head mill which recommends ISO 100 and spins to about 3100 PM. I am running a synthetic gear oil which cut down on the foaming and I picked up about 50RPM on the top end due to less frictional drag then what the machine came with.
Mobil oil is somewhat the defacto, and very reasonable through Enco in particular when they have a 20% off sale and free shipping. So stock up.
I would not use detergent oils, or limited slip gear oils in a geared mill head machine. Limited slip gear oils have friction modifiers which can increase drag in the gears.

PM-932 Recommended lubricants:
Gearbox: ISO 68, such as SAE 80W90 auto gear oil, or Mobil DTE Heavy/Medium circulating oil (about 3 qts.)
Ball oilers (X and Y leadscrews): ISO 32 oil, such as 3-IN-ONE (the "motor oil" version of this brand is heaver, about ISO 68, but it can also be used)
X, Y and Z axis ways (dovetails): ISO 68 oil, such as Mobil Vactra No. 2, or equivalent
Power feed (visible gears), quill rack and pinion, Z-axis helical gears: light general purpose grease, NLGI No. 2, or equivalent
X and Y leadscrews: ISO 68 oil, such as Vactra No. 2 or 3-IN-ONE Motor Oil
Z leadscrew: ISO 68 oil or NLGI No. 2 grease
Oil Grade System.jpg

PM-932 Recommended lubricants:
Gearbox: ISO 68, such as SAE 80W90 auto gear oil, or Mobil DTE Heavy/Medium circulating oil (about 3 qts.)
Ball oilers (X and Y leadscrews): ISO 32 oil, such as 3-IN-ONE (the "motor oil" version of this brand is heaver, about ISO 68, but it can also be used)
X, Y and Z axis ways (dovetails): ISO 68 oil, such as Mobil Vactra No. 2, or equivalent
Power feed (visible gears), quill rack and pinion, Z-axis helical gears: light general purpose grease, NLGI No. 2, or equivalent
X and Y leadscrews: ISO 68 oil, such as Vactra No. 2 or 3-IN-ONE Motor Oil
Z leadscrew: ISO 68 oil or NLGI No. 2 grease
View attachment 111285
thanks for taking time in sharing your experience THANKS ..... good post and ref chart thanks again

Great post on that oil, it is not what people think (And what I used to think too)
When all I knew was motor oil and cars when I was younger, everyone used to pretty much say/think that 80 weight gear oil was 4 times as thick as 20 weight motor oil.

Great post, great information for everyone!

Looks like you are almost ready to go! I like the base too, looks nice and solid.

If they collets wont go in, just back out the pin thats in there. Take the end cap off the spindle, (Ring around the spindle) and you will see the screw in the side of the spindle, it just needs unscrewed a little bit until they will fit, no big deal at all. check out that link to the manual above if you dont have it already, that should answer anything else you need.
Matt all is well thanks for promptly shipping out the parts and your excellent customer service ... New draw bar works smothe . Finlay making some chips and working on a few mods . Thanks again :)
Ps I shot ya an e mail asking bout price and avail on the new DRO's you spoke of , also think I mentioned about the led light on the powerfeed is it worth fixing ?

Finished up Z Column rod base adjuster to be used with an indicator and the column crank. The PM 932 PDF mill does not have a knee . The column moves up and down with a Z axis motor (in rapid) but also has a hand crank with no way of incrementing measurement. Once the column/ tooling is set up in lowest z position . This rod will be locked into place to zero indicator. Than you can use the manual crank to thousandths of an inch. The idea works great it can remain fixed as it clears everything on the column. After use you can simply slide the main adjustment rod in up position out of the way.

DSCF1358.JPG
DSCF1359.JPG
DSCF1360.JPG
DSCF1362.JPG
DSCF1364.JPG

Last edited:
Nice design and install! :encourage: And I'll take an order of wings:grin:

I did basically the same thing, mounted a rod (in a slide-able holder) on an ERICK magnet with a 1" travel indicator. It can stick on any iron or steel on the side of my PM25. It's not as good as a DRO, but it cost a lot less.

Back