New PM 932M-PDF arrival

I used mineral spirits and some bar mop towels. went pretty well. I had no problem with the clean up. the more grease and oil the better. it came off really well. will use some citrus degreaser on the painted areas tomorrow.

I used mineral spirits and some bar mop towels. went pretty well. I had no problem with the clean up. the more grease and oil the better. it came off really well. will use some citrus degreaser on the painted areas tomorrow.
I did not problem with the oil either, it was the grit imbedded in it that was the issue.

the only grit I found was behind the table at the base of the column and in the threaded holes for the Z axis positioning motor bolts. hoping there isn't any in the gearbox. trying to decide if I want to go there.

I haven't really looked the machine over yet as far as looking for manufacturing defects, will do so next couple days. after the unhappy post a member did and then deleted the other night I did put a good straight edge all over the table and it looks really good to me. one obvious thing is that the Z axis lead screw is way off center of the hole cast in the top of the head. the Z axis positioning motor installed ok and the hand crank moves the head up and down (with more effort than I imagined) so hopefully its ok. have not powered up the machine as yet so haven't tried the positioning motor yet.

Glad you got it In good condition. Page 33 talks about checking the z-axis alignment. Yours may have shifted durin shipment
068e3dfdec9a3dc709d0d152b35efa49.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like an Ikea project, for the money it should be clean for the sale, not the purchaser doing that much. I'll have to see how mine goes, don't want to be throwing rocks in a glass house...

Sad that the instructions include directions for cleaning up "machining residue" on a new machine.

These machines spend weeks on a cargo ship and then days on multiple trucks. They need to be protected from rust during transit. So, cleaning them up on arrival is needed. Mine just had the protective grease to clean off.

It would be nice if all signs of machining residue were already clean, but why do something that would increase the price if it is going to need cleaning upon arrival anyway?

CONGRATULATIONS!
A few dings here and there from the trucking company no doubt, but I'm sure you'll get that all sorted.
Have fun! :D

These machines spend weeks on a cargo ship and then days on multiple trucks. They need to be protected from rust during transit. So, cleaning them up on arrival is needed. Mine just had the protective grease to clean off.

It would be nice if all signs of machining residue were already clean, but why do something that would increase the price if it is going to need cleaning upon arrival anyway?

Cosmoline and swarf are two very different things. At least they didn't mention casting sand!

Back