New To Machining ... As A Hobby

ahnatiw

Registered
Registered
Hi Everyone,

Well, after a year of watching YouTube videos on machining, CNC milling, and so on, I made the plunge.

So far, I have purchased an Eventherm 22" Kiln (for heat treating knives), a Busy Bee Cx-601 Mill, BB CX-701 Lathe and used 12x6 Surface Grinder (same as the Grizzly G5963)

My first task was to replace the unfriendly tool post holder on the lathe (holds 4 tools, but each needs to be manually shimmed...no thanks). Unfortunately, the chose non-standard mount scheme...vs. The more standard wide t-slot method.

So, my first turning projects was to make a new tool post stud adapter...It was bit stressful using the lathe to make a part for the lathe...need to tear apart the compound to check the fit. Well, it all worked out. Put on a AXA wedge style holder purchased from Accusize (Canadian web retailer)

I also had to mill off about 1/8" on the compound "column" in order to allow the use of 1/2" tool holders, otherwise I would not be able to get the tools inline with the center of rotation.

All worked out (machining cast iron was really cool).

Here are a few pics. I had to reduce the thickness of the nuts (yah surface grinder) and then make a custom wrench (did not want to grind down one from the set). Really enjoyed the mods.
image.jpeg image.jpeg
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Sorry for the long intro post.

Look forward to hearing from you guys.

Cheers,

Al

Welcome Al. Funny how much fun it is once you get started...
Bill

You see kids, that's how it start, a few videos a week, then every day. You tell your self I can handle it, then you buy a machine and some tools. At this point you don't even realize it but there's no turning back. Then one day you walk in to your garage full of machines and tools, and say to your self what have I done, it happened so fast, and that's when you realize you are a full blown addict.

Welcome to this thing we call a hobby, but we all know it's really a disease.

Welcome to the forum! Isn't it great to be able to fix your stuff with your own stuff! Plus, if you don't have what you need, you have more stuff to buy! By the way, looks like you have a BXA QCTP there, not an AXA. I think I'm reading 250-111 on the post which would indicate a BXA. Think AXA has a 150 on it, CDCOtools.com refers to them as the 200-series for the BXA, 100-series for the AXA. Hey, bigger is usually better! Just in case you start ordering a bunch of AXA tool holders.

Bruce

Welcome aboard. Once I retired 21 years ago, "WORK" became just another 4 letter word not used. LOL Have fun and relax, it only gets better.

"Billy G"

"Welcome to the forum! Isn't it great to be able to fix your stuff with your own stuff! Plus, if you don't have what you need, you have more stuff to buy! By the way, looks like you have a BXA QCTP there, not an AXA. I think I'm reading 250-111 on the post which would indicate a BXA. Think AXA has a 150 on it, CDCOtools.com refers to them as the 200-series for the BXA, 100-series for the AXA. Hey, bigger is usually better! Just in case you start ordering a bunch of AXA tool holders."

Hi
No it is a AXA toolpost.
111 = AXA
222 = BXA
333 = CXA

tool post.jpg

You see kids, that's how it start, a few videos a week, then every day. You tell your self I can handle it, then you buy a machine and some tools. At this point you don't even realize it but there's no turning back. Then one day you walk in to your garage full of machines and tools, and say to your self what have I done, it happened so fast, and that's when you realize you are a full blown addict.

Welcome to this thing we call a hobby, but we all know it's really a disease.

Actually, for me, it was my wife that said "what have you done?"

"Welcome to the forum! Isn't it great to be able to fix your stuff with your own stuff! Plus, if you don't have what you need, you have more stuff to buy! By the way, looks like you have a BXA QCTP there, not an AXA. I think I'm reading 250-111 on the post which would indicate a BXA. Think AXA has a 150 on it, CDCOtools.com refers to them as the 200-series for the BXA, 100-series for the AXA. Hey, bigger is usually better! Just in case you start ordering a bunch of AXA tool holders."

Hi
No it is a AXA toolpost.
111 = AXA
222 = BXA
333 = CXA

View attachment 127009
Ah, you are correct!

Bruce

Back