New to me 10ee

WHAT A BEAUTIFUL MACHINE. Now you are part of the 10EE club. We are a cut above those with low end lathes.

Like others' have said you should be able to run this VFD on 1 phase. A trick if it errors "phase loss detection" , just put your L2 lead to both L2 and L3 on the VFD.

I know this machine inside out. Be glad to help. Also there is a great 10EE sub forum on practical Machinist - the REAL GURUS hang out there.

Hi very nice buy, Reliance makes a very nice and (expensive) drive. it is possible that it has a dv/dt filter inside the cabinet to protect the motor. you should be able to connect a potentiometer to it and control the speed.
Good luck with it
Rich

Well I was able to get it to run, definitely in the market for back gear or a different setup. I haven't really looked at the vfd settings I've been busy building a transmission and haven't really had time to do much other than make it spin and prove i can stall it by hand at low rpm. Also it only turns 1500 on the high end currently. There could be some vfd settings to help just haven't had the time to dig in yet.

I have a Monarch CK and the chip tray does not slide out.
Noticed that when I got it home and was considering how to place it in my shop.
I knew I would hate reaching underneath the carriage to clean it - getting oil on my arms, etc.
So I placed mine perpendicular to the wall.
Big open maw on the backside you could clean with a scoop shovel if you wished.
Looks like I need to do that one of these days.

A Die Bar works grate for pulling chips from the back of the pan.

I have a 10EE backgear but won't give it away.

I have a build thread putting a backgear on a 3 phase motor, lot o' labor here.

Great thread, unsure which way I'd want to go being as I'd have to buy a motor either way.

PMed you. Mounting a backgear directly to an off the shelf 3 phase motor is a serious machinist job. See my build thread.

I have another build, 10EE no backgear. Bit spendy route. But only fab work and it makes a WONDERFUL LATHE. Make sure MKSJ helps pick out the motor if you go this route.

Last edited:
I am unable to edit previous posts, but I wanted to make sure and update that the link to the Reliance VFD I currently have is here. It took me awhile to find it so I wanted to reference it for anyone else who may have one of these.

Thanks to Karl-T and MKSJ for the guidance, I purchased a 10hp inverter-duty rated motor shown here: Marathon Black Max Y547 Currently shopping for VFDs, chokes, and dynamic brake resistors. This thing should be a ripper when finished.

That is a wonderful motor choice.

MKJS is the VFD expert. I used a hitachi WJ200 15 Hp drive with his guidance. If the drive you have needs to be replaced, I'd strongly suggest this one. I put mine on a 30 amp 220 circuit, #10 wiring, with a 30 amp motor contactor and heaters inside the 10EE. Use the machine start/stop to bring this in and out. NOT exactly the way MKJS would do it, but I think its the way to go.

I never installed a choke. And I was cheap a$$ on the resistor just went to eBay and bought the correct ohms power resistor for a FRACTION of the price.

You will also need a 2K to 5K pot for speed control. I am pretty proud of the nifty way mine was installed.

memorize my build thread and you are good to go.

Last edited:
Back