New To Me 11" Logan 920

Congrats on the new lathe. You did well. Your question about the drive box is that yes, it rests on top of the
cast column. There should be a rubber bumper on a pin at the bottom. If you look at how the assembly attaches
at the top, there are rubber mounts as well. Thus, the whole assembly is isolated from the headstock to reduce vibration.

Congrats on the new lathe. You did well. Your question about the drive box is that yes, it rests on top of the
cast column. There should be a rubber bumper on a pin at the bottom. If you look at how the assembly attaches
at the top, there are rubber mounts as well. Thus, the whole assembly is isolated from the headstock to reduce vibration.
Great. Makes sense.
Perhaps some wood blocking and some straps to hold things in place as I loosen/remove hinge pins or bolts will be a help.
I'm prepping a bag of tools to bring with me - I will include.
Thank you.
Helpful.

Need a better picture of B and D to be sure. B sort of looks like a nut for the cross feed screw. Maybe that's a worn one. Maybe it's a new one.
E is a tool post for holding round shank tools, such as boring bars (and milling cutters). F are lathe dogs (for driving shafts between centers in conjunction with the drive plate). The collet looking thing has me scratching my head. It's not 5C. The back end looks like it could be a work stop accessory. It might be some sort of special tool. A good picture of the business end of the "collet" might shed some light.

Last edited:
That's a collet stop, keeps your part at a constant position :)

Couple of FYI's. The motor may have oil wadding lubrication, double check. If it is, motor oil is no longer to be found, best thing these days, IMHO, is sewing machine oil.
I'd look around for a steady rest and a taper attachment. Let us know if you need pictures.

Others can share their opinions, but the good news is the peg leg is on the platform so the lathe is easily moved. "BUT" the bad news is the lathe isn't bolted down . AND is very much head stock heavy AND not stable side to side AND you have a very narrow platform. Falling over is called a "face-plant" and runied many a lathe. Yes, the pedestal leg is secured by gravity.

The best thing, IMHO, is to break the lathe down removing the motor & , drive box assembly, remove the bed from the tray/table. If you have access to a cheap Harbor Freight engine hoist, that will work fine to hold it while you remove them. I once made a platform to hold mine up, LOL, can't remember why now. The lift will also work great to hold the lathe while you remove the legs and pan and then you can simply set it in a truck bed or I put mine in a covered cargo trailer to move it. You can also, without any concern but time, remove the headstock and then the parts are easily moved with a cheap Harbor Freight pnumatic tire dolly.

If you elect to try to move it assembled, I suggest you get three good, not Harbor Freight cheap, cargo tie-downs and use two to strap the bed down to the cart, not bending the tray, and the other over the drive box assembly thus also securing the pedestal leg. EDIT: And if at all possible, sling the lathe from the bed, rather than lift it. Then the top heavy isn't an issue.

ASAP, go to the Logan site Lathe.com run by Scott Logan, grandson of the company founder and just do some reading through the FAQ. If you don't get a manual you can get one from Logan, but drop me an IM and I can give you a couple of suggestions. Not to detract from this really great forum, but Scott moderates a Logan groups.io forum that's another good source as Scott will weigh in on some questions.He also moderates a FaceBook group that am a member of but don't really follow.

Kerosene is your friend for cleaning, many options for rust removal Evaporust being the easiest, It can costly and container size/shape can be an issue. if you want original paint, the color is in the Logan FAQ.

P.S the hole in the tailstock by the locking handle is for, once upon a time, white lead to lubricate a non-rotating (dead center in modern terms) center. Now high pressure grease is a common replacement. The thing that goes in the hole is what Logan called a quill. It is unobtanium. Look around for this. Not really necessary, but nice to have.

1625861760370.png

Ok - so Steve identified A, C, H, & G.
Thanks Steve!
Could still use some help with B, D, E, F, and I if anyone else wants to take a stab?!
Feels like I am hosting the '70's game show "Liars Club"!View attachment 371618

Looking back at the pictures, of the lathe tooling that is, I think I see a collet - and it seams to have some sort of tail on it.
That's a mystery to me.
I assumed these would be 5C collets.
Perhaps it is - and that is a tool holder of some kind screwed on to it.

If so, my question is - what is that tail and how does it interact with the lathe?
View attachment 371617
Part marked i looks like part that fits on back of spindle we’re the collet locates.
I did not see the piece where the collet enters the spindle. It is tapered and locks in spindle with taper then 5c collet fits inside it. the collet and stop in picture do not look like Logan parts. And there should be a spindle protecter that screws on spindle to protect thread. Look on eBay for a lever collet closer and you will see parts needed.
Jim Sehr
I went to you tube and they have vids of Logan lathe lever collet closers. There are a few so you might look at more then one because they are not all the same.

Last edited:
P.S the hole in the tailstock by the locking handle is for, once upon a time, white lead to lubricate a non-rotating (dead center in modern terms) center. Now high pressure grease is a common replacement. The thing that goes in the hole is what Logan called a quill. It is unobtanium. Look around for this. Not really necessary, but nice to have.

View attachment 371638
I think the piece used to apply white lead is called a dauber. And is easy to make.
Jim Sehr
b looks like crosslide nut
h looks like lantern tool post base
e boring bar holder
g knurls

Last edited:
Wrote this earlier - but appears I never hit post.
Apologies if I miss any specific responses.
Read everyones.
Thank you.

Extropic - good stuff as usual.
E is a tool post for holding round shank tools, such as boring bars (and milling cutters).
Ah - excellent.
B sort of looks like a nut for the cross feed screw. Maybe that's a worn one. Maybe it's a new one.
Now looking at it - it does seam to have the shape of a nut for a screw. I will get a closer look and post pics when back in front of it.
The collet lookin thing has me scratching my head. It's not 5C. The back end looks like it could be a work stop accessory. It might be some sort of special tool. A good picture of the business end of the "collet" might shed some light.
Ok - glad its not only me. I will see if there are any identifying marks or numbers on it - and get some detailed pics up and posted when I am down there - in case we realize there is some kind of holder that should be with it that needs to be found hiding in the garage...

I managed to figure out what I is - Extropic had previously suggested it might be part of the collet closer.
Sure enough - I found a video with that part being shown: Screen Shot 2021-07-09 at 9.55.16 AM.png

Jim - agreed - its a duaber. I've downloaded a picture and sent it to the son in-law in case he saw it somewhere. On my list to find if its around.
Extropic - watched the video. Man how times have changed - but lathes have not! Good grounding for me. Thanks.
Shiseiji - Plan is to disassemble. I pulled off a one man move on a 4200Lb mill - by building a wide rolling base - that now serves as the means to move my mill. It was a bit of alchemy - and I never felt unsafe - but took a great deal of planning and pre-work.
Let (best) 5 feet of a 100 mile move seen here - if you want a laugh:

The Logan lathe's peg leg design is just ripe with ways for it to crumble. My plan is to disassemble.
I don't have a hoist - so its going to load by hand.
I'm a little unsure about the weight of the motor drive unit - but if I can remove that by hand - I should be good to break down from there.
What I can't load - I'll engage my son to help with.

Thanks to all that weighed in.
Great primer for me the day prior - and very helpful.
-CM

Back