New To Me 11" Logan 920

If you remove the motor first, the drive box should be something you can just lift off. I took
my 10" apart and put it together with no problems.
You also might consider fabricating a stand for the lathe which locates the the pedestal leg
securely.

Here's mine: the stand is made up of welded 3 x 4 and 3 x 5 rectangular tube tied together with 2" round
tubes. It has 5 leveling feet. The added bonus is that it raised the lathe up higher, which for me
is helpful for my back. Sorry about the dark pictures.

View attachment 371709

View attachment 371710
The stand looks great!

We also have PDF scans of two or three editions of the SB How To Run A Lathe in Downloads. As well as the similar Atlas MOLO (Manual Of Lathe Operation). However, because the storage space adds significantly to the sites monthly bill, to actually open or download any files requires that you be a Donor (any level).

Well - she's home.
Tear down was pretty straight forward.
I rolled it to the back of the truck and put the tail gate down - and that way I was an easy lift for the bed and the motor drive assembly.
I decided not to tear down the motor drive from the head stock - It really wasn't that bad a lift and I was able to put it on its side in such a way that it was secure and not leaning on any hinged or geared components.

Collet closer - I rummaged around a bit and had some luck - but couldn't find a few parts.
Ill get them properly posted and we can take stock.
They all seem a little different on the videos I saw.
What I found: The spindle protector that threads on.
What I didn't find: The collets or the collet adapter.
Seems certain there was a set of collets somewhere - but no luck.
I also didnt see the supporting bracket or any additional parts that might be needed for the back side of the spindle (not sure what that area is called).

However, when I got home - I realized there was something screwed on to that back side - and I think it might be part of the unit.
Is this the "take up nut"?

Oh - and one other thing. There was an old pair of "Robuck" coveralls - in perfect condition.
The guy gave those to me - and some raw stock!
There was also an Albrecht chuck.
All in all - I really can't complain - and have to say - the son-in-law was an awesome guy.
Helped me load and then grabbed a beer for us after the work was done - to, you know, cool off.

Thanks all - more to come.
IMG_3200.JPG
IMG_3198.JPG

Yeah team! Sadly I don't know enough about the closer, other than the one I have isn't for 3AT, to know if that's for the closer or setting the bearing preset upon the 11". Hopefully someone will know. Good deal on the spindle thread protector.

P.S. clean and lube the QCGB because the only way to lub it is to daub or spray up inside. I found some high pressure sticky spray I use on it and my change gears. Doesn't attract swarf and really quiets down the gear train.

Well - she's home.
Tear down was pretty straight forward.
I rolled it to the back of the truck and put the tail gate down - and that way I was an easy lift for the bed and the motor drive assembly.
I decided not to tear down the motor drive from the head stock - It really wasn't that bad a lift and I was able to put it on its side in such a way that it was secure and not leaning on any hinged or geared components.

Collet closer - I rummaged around a bit and had some luck - but couldn't find a few parts.
Ill get them properly posted and we can take stock.
They all seem a little different on the videos I saw.
What I found: The spindle protector that threads on.
What I didn't find: The collets or the collet adapter.
Seems certain there was a set of collets somewhere - but no luck.
I also didnt see the supporting bracket or any additional parts that might be needed for the back side of the spindle (not sure what that area is called).

However, when I got home - I realized there was something screwed on to that back side - and I think it might be part of the unit.
Is this the "take up nut"?

Oh - and one other thing. There was an old pair of "Robuck" coveralls - in perfect condition.
The guy gave those to me - and some raw stock!
There was also an Albrecht chuck.
All in all - I really can't complain - and have to say - the son-in-law was an awesome guy.
Helped me load and then grabbed a beer for us after the work was done - to, you know, cool off.

Thanks all - more to come.
View attachment 371741
View attachment 371742
If you go looking for the collet adapter be aware that the 900 series Logan’s had 2 different spindle tapers . You need to look at your serial number and compare to chart Scott Logan has posted on the web. Buying new is pricey. But if you keep looking on eBay you might find a deal.
Jim Sehr

I have a Logan 5c adapter somewhere...

If we can determine whether it will fit your lathe, I may be convinced to part with it...

I'll see if I can find it Monday morning...

-Bear

P.S. clean and lube the QCGB
Assuming that is not some form of gender designation - and rather refers to the gears on the cross slide mechanism?
You also might consider fabricating a stand for the lathe which locates the the pedestal leg
securely.
Missed this earlier. Thanks for posting. Was thinking about welding up a bracket that created a 45 degree angle from the casted legs to support the motor. Think I could do something simple but nice. Like the idea of improving the peg as you've done.
Sticker shock. One from Scott is $340. Also the nose guard though they can be easily made or a 3D printed one purchased. Price new: $233
Well, gotta admit, that seems like a lot for a turned piece of steel - but that said - precision is critical for that part.
Still...
If you go looking for the collet adapter be aware that the 900 series Logan’s had 2 different spindle tapers . You need to look at your serial number and compare to chart Scott Logan has posted on the web. Buying new is pricey. But if you keep looking on eBay you might find a deal.
Jim Sehr
Good head's up. Tks.
I have a Logan 5c adapter somewhere...

If we can determine whether it will fit your lathe, I may be convinced to part with it...

I'll see if I can find it Monday morning...

-Bear
Gracious. What a great last post to read after the above discussion!
Thanks Bear. Let me know what you dig up.
In the mean time, I'll look up my serial number and post some info on it.
Collet adapter would put me in business out of the gate - which would be terrific.

-CM

I 'may' also have an extra follow rest if you need one...

Among other things...

Let me see what I can find. If you need anything, just ask, I have a lot of 'stuff' that came with my old Logan...

-Bear

Back