New To Me 1966 Clausing 5914

rodm717

Registered
Registered
New to me 1966 Clausing 5914 that came out of machine shop that closed. Overall seems well cared for. Came with all the original documentation, parts invoices and repair records.
Plan to use a vfd and try to run original
Reeves drive system. Had done this previously on a 1956 Delta 11 x 54 and worked pretty well.
I need to sell one or two of my other machines to make room at my home shop. Right now it's at work waiting patiently.
Unfortunately it did not come with steady or follow rest and will have to keep an eye out for those.
It did come with the Royal collet closer, 4 jaw chuck, dog plate, custom chuck and backing plate, micro stop, and multi point stop.
Hopefully wire it up tomorrow or Monday and verify operating condition.
20231214_150640.jpg20231214_150728.jpg20231214_150702.jpg

Nice machine- those have well hardened bedways so they wear verry slowly

Last edited:
Nice machine- those have well hardened bedways so they wear verry slowly
Thanks. I'm happy so far. Definitely used, but it doesn't appear to be abused. I've looked at several of this type in the past and always liked the build and operation.The hardened bed ways are in good visible shape and a definite plus, and imo more industrial than what I had or have.
I'll be posting more photos as i go through it. I do hope to have it moved into my home shop in the next several weeks.

I got power to the machine and encountered my first issue. The clutch does not stay engaged and does not seemed to be fully engaging spindle. Spindle is not spinning up to appropriate speed. There also appears to be a small fluid leak on the speed control system, but the reeves drive and hydraulic control do function correctly.
I found the issue. The handwheel pin was not engaged properly. User error hehe.
I did verify everything else does work properly. The drive is a little noisy and will need to dig into it further.
20231215_114940.jpg20231215_114944.jpg

Last edited:
Sold my 1938 SB 9 to make room inmy home shop to move this in sometime this coming week. One of the things i did notice was the level of backlash in the cross and compound. Could anyone confirm what acme size the nut and screw are for the cross and compound. I believe it may be 5/8"-10 for cross, but would like confirmation. And know idea on the compound.

Also believe you’re correct 5/8”-10 LH . After reading a thread here I got the confidence to buy a 3’ 5/8”-10 LH rod and followed the thread . I made mine a little longer so I could work from the rear of the spindle further than stock . I bought stock to make a new nut but it was such an improvement I’ve been putting it off . I did have issues with the detent on the clutch shaft , just the weight of the handle would knock it out . Try running the spindle in reverse a few minutes and see if when you go back forward the sound is different . I have no idea why but when mine seems noisy, doing that makes it go away I’m thinking it has something to to with the V belt . Edit , I bet the cog belt is the noise maker on mine anyway

Also believe you’re correct 5/8”-10 LH . After reading a thread here I got the confidence to buy a 3’ 5/8”-10 LH rod and followed the thread . I made mine a little longer so I could work from the rear of the spindle further than stock . I bought stock to make a new nut but it was such an improvement I’ve been putting it off . I did have issues with the detent on the clutch shaft , just the weight of the handle would knock it out . Try running the spindle in reverse a few minutes and see if when you go back forward the sound is different . I have no idea why but when mine seems noisy, doing that makes it go away I’m thinking it has something to to with the V belt . Edit , I bet the cog belt is the noise maker on mine anyway
Thanks. Mine also slips out. I haven't attempted to adjust yet. On the list of to do's once I have it at home. I have a length of 932 bronze rectangular stock from other lathe rebuilds and will be making a nut and trying that before the screw. Usually the nut wears before the screw, unless it has been used excessively. I also like to build in compensation to the nut with a slit on the tail and threaded thru hole with shcs.

I’d like to see how your split nut works out . Looked back and saved a picture of a section of old cross feed screw . The extra length of new rod stock I make an imperial cross feed for my Chineses bench lathe .

Attachments

• IMG_3716.jpeg
    IMG_3716.jpeg
    328.8 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Back