New To Me 1966 Clausing 5914

I’d like to see how your split nut works out . Looked back and saved a picture of a section of old cross feed screw . The extra length of new rod stock I make an imperial cross feed for my Chineses bench lathe .
The compensated nut isn't anything new. In fact my.Enco 110-2034 has one stock. It just gives you the ability adjust tension on the threads as the nut wears and compensate for ensuing backlash. Here is one type of example-
3690.480.jpg

Wow, 932 has really gone up. I think my stock will work, but wanted to look at cost if I needed to to get a larger cross section.
1ft. of 1-1/2×2 932 is $200. I may end up just buying one if what I have doesn't work unless I chance upon a deal. Scratch that, i do not want to use a brass nut. I do believe my 932 material, 1-3/8 x 1-1/8 x 8-5/8, should work. Previous nuts made, i was able to achieve around .005" backlash without compensation.
I did find a really good deal on Ebay for a VFD. Rebranded Lenze 3hp SMVector. A great deal @ $110 bnib. The seller has a lot of them so can only assume overstock or buy out of a closed business.

Last edited:
Got the lathe on the floor and by happy chance the new qctp and vfd are showing delivery for today.
I did find a new issue. When moving the carriage away from spindle, maybe 20 inches, it gets harder to turn the hand wheel and eventually binds at around 24 inches. I've checked the ways on all sides and the gear rack and do not see what is causing the binding. When i picked up the lathe, I did notice a little resistance toward the end of the bed, as it probably hadn't been moved out past 20 inches or so often. But, would travel to the end of the bed without much concern.
I will probably remove the saddle and inspect. Who knows it could be random chips between the saddle and ways or some chips pushing between spur and gear rack in the apron.

Here is a video with sound. If I move the carraige slowly, it creates that sound and vibration in the bed. Now to locate it. Part of the fun right?

Nice machine . :encourage:

I had the 5917 but it went to a fellow H-M member . Now I don't see many of them around . :(

It’s not binding on the square “ clutch “ shaft is it ?

It’s not binding on the square “ clutch “ shaft is it ?
Ha, I was just looking at that last night and wondering the same thing.
Well, it looks like i am waiting a bit longer to hook this up. Every store in my areas is out of 12/4 soow cable and 16/4 nobody local carries. I could do something temporary , but really dont feel like reworking everything twice. Whomever hooked it up previously definitely went overkill with 10/4, which wont even fit into the vfd knockouts. They also didnt understand wire color coding and had black to blue, white to red, and red to black.
The wiring in the panelbox on the lathe appears to be 14-16awg anyway. I will be going to the inlaws this evening and can stop at the big box store in their area to pick up what i need.
20231230_152640.jpg
20231230_152650.jpg

Last edited:
Back