New to me Atlas TH42

Hello,
That’s a Nice Lathe and it does look Great for it’s age. I have an Atlas H42 that looks identical to your TH42 with the same color paint too. The only thing that I can find somewhat Different is that the color around the word (Atlas on the Logo and Tag) On mine it’s s Deep Red Color.
I haven’t been able to find any information about an Atlas H42 and was wondering if my Label was a Misprinted (or a New Tag)? It’s On the original Stand according to the Person that sold it to me, but I don’t really know for sure? He said it was his Dads and it had been sitting for about 40 years.

If you are familiar with this machine, if it is indeed a Model H42? Any information would be Greatly appreciated.

Thanks

View attachment 297631View attachment 297632View attachment 297633View attachment 297634
Chuckitall,
i do not know enough about these to know why your label is a deeper red. That is odd. It does look legit though. hmm

Up until 1945, Atlas sold 10" lathes with either babbit or Timken spindle bearings and either vertical or horizontal countershafts. Sometime during 1945, they discontinued the babbit bearings and the vertical countershafts. The model numbers of all F-Series 10" lathes consist of one or two letters and two digits. The valid letter combinations are V, H, TV and TH. The valid numbers are 36, 42, 48 and 54, which are the nominal bed lengths. Subtract 12 from the bed length for the nominal distance between centers. From mid-1947, the letter combination QC (for Quick Change) was added. By default, all QC's were also TH's but the letters were not present. From about the same time, the 36" and 48" beds were discontinued.

the original atlas chucks are junk , buy something on the order of a buck, then you will have something

I wouldn't consider it fair to call the original Atlas chucks as junk. Quality wise, they are about as good as a Buck or a Pratt-Bernerd. They just lack the two features that make the better chucks both more desirable and much more expensive. If you can afford it, go for the better chuck.

That motor pulley looks too large- or is it just the photo?
Nice Atlas BTW
Mark

Last edited:
Thank you WCraig and minsk for Giving Me enough information to know that my Lathe is a Genuine Atlas Lathe. Also, wa5cab, Thank You for All the Detailed info you have given me about the Atlas H42 Lathe that I bought about 4 years ago along with a 1-HP VS Vertical Mill.
I was beginning to think that it May have been One that was assembled out of spare parts and then labeled as an Atlas Lathe (since the Color on the Label was a Deeper Red) and I only found One listing for a Model Like mine.
Markba633csi, I think it’s the picture that’s making the Pulley Look So Big, it’s actually Not that Large.

I added the Quick Change Tool Head about a few Months after I got the Lathe and started learning to use the machine. In the process of learning to use it, I really began to Wish that it had a Variable Speed DC Motor and a Digital Meter for reading the speed of whatever’s Locked in the Chuck to control the rpm’s when turning different material types and threading (I’m not sure if it has the Gears to thread anything or Not)? There is a Thread pitch Cutting Chart and a Gear Change Chart Too, and there’s a Lot of Gears inside the Left Side Cover and a few that came in a Box with Extras for the Lathe.
The Lathe works Great and does Everything it’s suppose to (except for the fact that I’m not sure if It Has everything Needed to do any Thread Cutting)? I’m lacking the knowledge and information as to if this Lathe is Capable of Cutting Threads or Not?

I have a 3-HP Continuous Run DC Variable Speed Motor from a Treadmill that I was thinking of putting on the Lathe, but I don’t know if it would Change the Speed of the Horizontal Drive Assembly or of that can be operated independently of the Chuck Turning Speed?
BTW, the Chuck had been a Replaced with a Newer One that works really well. I can’t remember the Brand Name, I’ll have to look at it and then I will List exactly what it is later. All I remember is it has a Oval Raised Logo that’s light Orange with a Clear Raised Epoxy Looking Finish On it with a European Name (I think)?
Thank you all for the information and thanks in advance for your advice and recommendations on updating the Motor sometime soon.

Hey guys finally got a nice table for the Atlas. Home depot had a sale on these husky mobile carts. I have a nice Phase 2 qctp on the way. Question. So the PO wired the lathe all wacky...im looking for the original wiring diagram for the lathe..i wanna use the original switch etc. does anyone have any pics of how the switch is wired to the original motor.

20190830_170725 (1).jpg

Hey guys finally got a nice table for the Atlas. Home depot had a sale on these husky mobile carts. I have a nice Phase 2 qctp on the way. Question. So the PO wired the lathe all wacky...im looking for the original wiring diagram for the lathe..i wanna use the original switch etc. does anyone have any pics of how the switch is wired to the original motor.

View attachment 301263
It might help if you could draw up a simple schematic of how the lathe is currently wired. This will both show us what may or may not be correct as it sits and which motor and switch type you are working with. Pictures will help too.

It might help if you could draw up a simple schematic of how the lathe is currently wired. This will both show us what may or may not be correct as it sits and which motor and switch type you are working with. Pictures will help too.
basically the added a plug in the middle... i jsut need to see how the switch wire goes in the the motor originally...:)

Also say whether the lathe has the original headstock mounted ON-OFF toggle switch or not and/or a larger drum switch. If the headstock switch is present, does it have two or four terminals? And if present, what is the make and model number of the drum switch? There have been many different drum switches made, and how they must be wired is almost always different one to another.

Back