New To Me Blacksmiths' Anvil

Inflight

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I was able to acquire a heavy old blacksmiths' anvil from a friend for a good price. I got it home and installed today in my backyard. I will be building a coal fired forge next.

I can't read the manufacturer's name on the anvil but I found the weight markings as "1.3.3" which works out to 199 lbs in the old hundred weight system. There is a small edge defect but I'm not going to worry about that until I get some practice smithing first.

New Anvil 1 .jpg Hundredweight.jpg

Matt
Long Beach, CA

Since buying an anvil, I have used it almost daily!

Sent from somwhere in east Texas by Jake!

It looks very much like the anvil in my forge. It is an Armitage Mouse Hole pattern. If you Google Armitage mouse hole, you will see many examples.

Not all that many anvils loose in this part of the country. Or at least at reasonable prices. I wouldn't mind having one.

Congrats on your anvil! I would be hard pressed to find a more valuable tool in my shop! And nice that you got a heavy one!

Thats just gorgeous! I just love to see old stuff still getting used today. Good way to get rid of your frustrations too.

I have a big one and a small one. I use the 25 lb one more then my 200 lb. . The big use to be used daily , but like me it's sidelined. I've always been going to put it on my welding table still might if I can get around better. Don't think one shots gonna help my spine at least not showing to much yet.

Not all that many anvils loose in this part of the country (Texas).
Funny you should say that Tony. This anvil was originally located in the Galveston area and relocated to Southern California about 40 years ago by the son of the original owner whom I purchased the anvil from.

DON'T leave it outside!!! It will RUST !!!
I hear what you're saying but this anvil gets a generous coat of oil every few days. In normal years, we don't have much rain around here.

I made a pair of Wolf-Jaw tongs yesterday. Started with two 8 inch lengths of .625" x .75" cold rolled steel. I finished by applying fresh beeswax while the metal was still very hot. The wax flashed off (burned) and left a very nice black surface.

Wolf-jaw tongs open.jpg

wolf-jaw tone holding bolt.jpg

Matt

Back