New To Me Blacksmiths' Anvil

Galveston used to be a pretty major port city, so I would imagine during the time when every shop had a smith and forge, anvils were plentiful. But further north where I am, not so much. We really didn't get industrialized too much until oil was discovered. By that time, things were more mechanized I suppose and the few blacksmiths who had also been farriers did what they could during that time. But it's still pretty rare as far as I know to run across an anvil unless it's one that has been grabbed to use by a nostalgic smith.

Same in my area, found one price over $3 a pound for small ones and goes up from there. Do not know if that is good or not but never made it to look at what he had.

Same in my area, found one price over $3 a pound for small ones and goes up from there. Do not know if that is good or not but never made it to look at what he had.

I paid about $1.75 per pound.

I don't know for sure, but I would bet that a lot of anvils from agricultural areas fell prey to the big scrap iron drives in the early years of WWII. That more or less coincided with farms becoming mechanized, so with no horses and mules to shoe, an anvil wasn't as necessary.

Was offered $400 for the English made around 1880 that the girlfriend has. I would have to check the weight, I think it is lighter, closer to 150#.
Pierre

Today I found the name Peter Wright in the side of my anvil. :)

DON'T leave it outside!!! It will RUST !!!:)

I hope you're just joking. That anvil could be left outside for a couple hundred years and still be in nearly the shape it's in now.

Even so it would be a good idea to throw a small tarp over it if you have it outside.

Don't worry about a London pattern anvil. Go to the scrap yard and buy a decent sized and shaped piece of scrap steel for pennies per pound and use it for an anvil. Youtube has some information about what to select. Enlightening!

And ...

Last edited:
Not all that many anvils loose in this part of the country. Or at least at reasonable prices. I wouldn't mind having one.
My Dad's is loose somewhere here after he passed. I suppose it went to a local flea market.I had NO idea how expensive they were until we filed insurance claims. :apologize:

Back