New to me Clausing 5310 - a little help please

I have to believe that back in the day when American Iron was being produced and used to build our country that engineers and designers knew parts would wear out and being able to "flip them over" and keep producing parts was something they would take pride in.

Also, building up with brazing is a totally viable thing.

JOhn

Glad you got it figured out. Looked at your first post and realized it was plain worn out. I have seen this part used on eBay.

Just throwing this out...

Being cast iron, wonder if you could build up with bronze and remill /turn it down?

Also may be make a nonmetallic shim/spacer and use a special adhesive to ‘glue’ it in.

Your Clausing is a nice find. Was it local? Your lathe is big brother to my 1946 Clausing 100 mk3 which has been in the family since 1960’s. We are not to far apart. I am about 30 miles north of Charlottesvilles.

Bob G.

I already ordered some gray iron to replicate the part. Clausing sent me the print. I may do as you suggest on the original, build it up with brazing. perhaps the copper/bronze will wear better than cast iron? Either way, I'll have 2 or 3 of these parts handy when all is said and done.

I am very happy with my find. Not many in the 12x36 range that would fit my needs and wallet. I picked it up in PA, about 1.5 hrs from me (I'm near Leesburg), about 2 hrs north of C-ville.

Yeah seems you can find a lot of good stuff in PA.

Bob G.

Now I am having clutch issues again. This time, I get the clutch engaged, but it is not holding the pulley, so the chuck doesn't turn.
I tore down the countershaft and inspected the parts. The Clutch Ring and Pulley have quite a bit of gap.

The expanded OD of the clutch ring is 2.990" closed and 3.019" expanded. The ID of the pulley is 3.027". That's not going to hold anything.

I called up Clausing to see if they by chance had these parts. They don't, but they sent me the prints. The real kicker is the prints indicated clutch ring diameter 3.000" +- 0.010" and the pulley ID 3.030-3.035"! How is that supposed to work?

Thoughts on how to proceed? I did consider drilling a hole in clutch and pulley and using a shear pin and just not have a clutch that cannot be disengaged.

Attachments

• 560-005 Pulley, Clutch Countershaft.jpg
    560-005 Pulley, Clutch Countershaft.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 5
  • 5310 countershaft assembly.jpg
    5310 countershaft assembly.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 5
  • DL-875S Clutch Ring.pdf
    65 KB · Views: 1
Sounds like the numbers got reversed- the pulley should be the smaller one
I think

Ended up fixing it by adding a piece of electrical tape to the clutch ring to increase diameter. I did this more of a test to confirm that’s the issue. Until I think of a better way to increase clutch ring diameter, this will work.
Only take 10 mins to get the countershaft assembly apart.

Back