New To Me Compact 8 Cleanup Thread

You have done an amazing job on this lathe. I will try dig up what I made as a reverse tumbler for this lathe. I haven't used this lathe in about eight years. When you have its big brother you dont want to play with it anymore:)

Sure came out purty! Nothing like a complete tear down to familiarize yourself with your machine. You did a fine job on this one - congrats!

You have done an amazing job on this lathe. I will try dig up what I made as a reverse tumbler for this lathe. I haven't used this lathe in about eight years. When you have its big brother you dont want to play with it anymore:)
Thank you! I'd like to see how you set your tumbler up! I would imagine that is true about the larger lathe. Coming from a little Chinese 7x10 Mini Lathe, I feel like I'm driving a Ferrari now though :grin:

For the life of me, I can't figure out what would keep it from turning in there when you tighten down the lever and mine did. I did notice that there are different part numbers for the top and bottom cotter halves, maybe one has a hex shaped recess to trap the bolt head???

For what it's worth, Atlas used a similar arrangement on the tailstock ram of the six inch lathe and perhaps other models as well. They solved the spinning bolt problem with a square-head fastener and matching socket in the lower half of the cotter. I know this Emco is not an Atlas, but the feature in question is very similar.

-frank

For what it's worth, Atlas used a similar arrangement on the tailstock ram of the six inch lathe and perhaps other models as well. They solved the spinning bolt problem with a square-head fastener and matching socket in the lower half of the cotter. I know this Emco is not an Atlas, but the feature in question is very similar.

-frank
I'm betting this one had a hex recess in the bottom cotter. I didn't have that part, but that is the only way I can see that working out right. Thanks for the info!

A Dremel tool is your friend if you want to cut one in. Very easy to do, and it need not be a flawless fit to do the job.

With regards to the bolt spinning the bottom piece of the cotter is keyed by it being broached for the hex of the bolt.With reagards to the reverse tumbler its such an unused accessory I never spent much time on it. All you have to do is introduce a gear of any size in between the gear train.I think the emco comes with a spare 40 t gear which is what I used.It was a simple piece of flat bar with a spindle on it and about two thirds of the way another flat bar bolted to it which bolts onto the headstock.
I found for threading it is useful to make a spindle crank because the lathe goes to fast. I will send pictures.

Back