• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • PLEASE SUPPORT OUR FORUM - UPGRADE YOUR ACCOUNT HERE!
[4]

New To Me Emco Compact 10

January Project of the Month [3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

brino

Active User
H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
Nice Machine! Congratulations.

That looks like one monster chuck on the shelf.

-brino

mikey

Active User
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
Congrats! Emco Compact 10 is a nice machine. Many of the Super 11 parts will fit, too.

FOMOGO

Active User
Nice looking machine. You don't see many vertical lathes. ;) Mike

wrmiller

Chief Tinkerer
There have been many times I wished I could do some light milling or drilling when I had a piece in the lathe. Looks like a very nice setup. Love the bench. :)

(if you click on the filename the pic orients correctly)

Rufusthedog

Iron
Registered Member
This is my first real lathe so I have a lot to learn. I have lurk here for awhile but now that I have a lathe I'm sure I will have a lot of questions. Thanks for the feedback.

Bryan

mikey

Active User
Emco machines are incredibly smooth running and I'm sure you'll be happy. I own a Super 11 CD and I really like it. Congrats on the new machine!

Rufusthedog

Iron
Registered Member
The first issue I'm working on is making a complete set of change gears. The first was a copy of the 60 tooth gear to compare with the original gear. Everything seems to mesh well. I plan on printing the complete set. 60 tooth gear.jpg

markba633csi

H-M Supporter - Premium Member
OOh I don't think 3-D printed gears will last too long Rufus- Those gears have to handle a lot of force. They really should be metal. Aluminum at least.
Mark S.

Wheresmywrench?

Active User
Actually I know a few Emco owners who are using gears made on a 3D printer and they are quite happy with how they are working out.

mikey

Active User
The original change gears are hardened and ground steel with a precision bore and keyways. The Compact 10 is a change gear lathe and every single thread you have to cut that doesn't involve the original gear train will have to rely on the change gears. It will be interesting to see how long those nylon gears last. On the other hand, at least you have them, right?

TomKro

Active User
Hi Rufus,

That's a nice machine and a nice bench.

I picked up the same machine and I'm stuck in sort of an "analysis paralysis" on the bench construction. The machine came with a 30" x 72" steel top workbench, but no support to speak of below the steel top. The manual recommends a heavy flat bar mounting, with jack screws to adjust the bed. I'm toying with the idea of some angle iron below the steel surface, but also wondering if some plain old 2x6s would be enough.

Can you share how yours is supported, and how it's working out for you?

Thanks,
TomKro

Old Squier

Very , very cool. Congrats!

Squire

Sent Using Tapatalk - Cherokee Nation of Oklahoma, Tahlequah OK

[6]
[5] [7]