New to me..........Emco Compact 8 Lathe

I believe at the rear of the bed there is a mounting for the vertical milling machine attachment- is that what you were referring to?
Those come up for sale on Ebay from time to time but are expensive
-M

Yes Ive just been having a look about, be nice to get hold of one of those but I should think 95% of the other Emco 8 owners are also looking, if I can get, make a mount that will bolt on for the vertical support maybe I can adapt something

I believe at the rear of the bed there is a mounting for the vertical milling machine attachment- is that what you were referring to?
Those come up for sale on Ebay from time to time but are expensive
-M
Case in point, I got lucky that I bought it for 1000 usd.

6.jpg

View attachment 383840
Nice, so does it swing out of the way when not in use, I bang my head on everything, if its there I'll nut it for sure.
When youve time could you post some measurements, hole spacing and support pole thickness

Thanks

Doesn't the multifix tool posts have built in angle adjustment so you do not have to move the main body to change tool angles?

Yes that's the mill/drill attachment- the compact 5 and compact 8 used the same one. There was a larger one for the compact 10 and FB-2
-M

View attachment 383840
I purchased that exact one as my first lathe from Blue Ridge back in the day. IMHO I wouldn't brother with the vertical head at all, it was originally made for the compact 5 and is more of a toy, only three speeds. The lathe was very good though.

Doesn't the multifix tool posts have built in angle adjustment so you do not have to move the main body to change tool angles?

It does, You can go straight from 0 to 45 degrees for quick chamfer. Also, if you add a pin in the base it lets you enable to pick different starting 40 positions from 0 to 4.5 degrees ( in 9 degrees steps ).

I purchased that exact one as my first lathe from Blue Ridge back in the day. IMHO I wouldn't brother with the vertical head at all, it was originally made for the compact 5 and is more of a toy, only three speeds. The lathe was very good though.

Yeah, that's true this drill/mill attachment only does have 3 speeds. Still, I can make a ER25 or ER32 holder out of some cheap stressproof steel for it in order to increase the value of it and be more useful with more modifications like a fine feed ( I figured out the right gearing ratio ).

Back