New to me Sharp HMV knee mill

smoky4712

Registered
Registered
I just dropped the table off at the surface grinder. I was debating weather I should have it ground. Then my new vice showed up. I just couldn't see mounting that beautiful new vice to that ugly old table.
I understand there are some concern's with tension in the table from various forces over time. Not really sure what to do about that. The table top wasn't really a workable surface the way it was. I was just looking to see if I had any good pictures of the state it was in. It doesn't really have any milling damage, but it does look like it was used as a work bench. It looked to me like about .020" to .025" would clean it up.
The shop I took it to is a Grinding shop. He said that they have done quite a few mill tables. He asked me if I wanted a standard or a "Blanchard" grind. He thought the Blanchard would be better but more difficult to do the set up. so likely a little more money.
I will post a picture that at least has the table in it.
IMG_20210220_171125.jpg

smoky4712

Registered
Registered
I soaked the one shot pump for a few days. disassembled it cleaned gave it a quick blast and a repaint. I filled it with some fresh way oil. And to my surprise, oil came out of all of the tubes that I can see, so just the knee elevator tube I wont see until I take the saddle off.
I was unsure how I would unplug or replace the lube tubes.
IMG_20210226_212214.jpg

Last edited:

smoky4712

Registered
Registered
Ok I got the table back from the surface grinder. Did I mention that it's really heavy? I couldn't help myself. I just had to set the new vise on it to have a look.
He said that they took .025" off. It looks pretty darn good. The question I have for you is, while it is so clean. Should I paint the drain area around the T slots?
And if your answer is yes, what would you suggest that I use for paint?

IMG_20210305_171256.jpg

smoky4712

Registered
Registered
After all the running today, I took some time to get the saddle off. Everything looks pretty good. Just the usual old oil and grime.
IMG_20210306_205001.jpg
IMG_20210306_205102.jpg
IMG_20210306_205036.jpg

smoky4712

Registered
Registered
Well, I painted while I could. I'm not sure about the color though. All that was on the shelf was Bright Green, Brown, and this Red. Probably should have gone the brown route. Oh well its done now. BTW there is one milling mark still left in the middle of the table its only maybe 1 or 2 thousands deep, we decided that it will likely not be a problem. And a vise will be on top of it most of the time anyway.
Tell me what you think.... its hideous isn't it.
IMG_20210310_170218.jpg

It can take up to an hour for ads to appear on the page. See our code implementation guide for more details. If you already have Auto ad code on your pages there's no need to replace it with this code
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock