New To Qc Tool Post, Do I Need A New Compound?

100LL

Registered
Registered
i bought a Dorian AXA for my lathe that has arrived.

I'm new to the quick change tool post only having very limited experience with them.

So I put it on my compound to find that the way my compound casting is made makes it such that the tool post will only fit on perfectly sqaure with the topslide.

Most top slides I see, even some for the 11" rockwell, are flat with the top of the t-slot. Therefore allowing the tool post to swivel in any orientation relative to the compound body.

It seems looking at pictured guys often have their compounds kicked over at various angles and then rotate the tool post in some other direction. ... This is impossible for me. I can only rotate the compound.

Do I need to find a different style compound??

Thanks, see photos.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

I would make a sparer, or mill the top slide, depending in which solution that gives the best location of cutters vs. spindle center. In case the QCTP sits too low now a spacer would be needed anyway. It is difficult to decide from the pictures.

I had to raise mine off the T slot to clear the rounded part of the compound. I went that way BECAUSE the fellows on the Rockwell site let me know that if you mill off the round part you will mill open a cavity in the compound slide. Do not know what your particulars are.

You could make a tee nut with the hole for the stud off center, allowing the QCTP to be positioned closer to the end of the compound. It's not clear from the photos if you could gain enough that way to make it work.

I like that idea Dave. Thanks.
Also nice to know I'm not a complete idiot.

I've done so much setting this thing up with all the cleaning and accessorizing...seems like it never ends.

If I machine a riser should it be square and match the tool post footprint?

What type of steel would you recommend? A2?

As long as the spacer did not raise the QCTP too high to use your maximum size tool bits, that is the way to go. I would make it square and the same dimensions as the QCTP and high enough to just clear the compound. The steel choice is not critical since the spacer will be in compression and has a large contact area. If you have access to a mill, I would recommend a small boss to fit the tee slot and prevent the spacer from rotating. not a necessity but a nice to have feature.

Bob

Back