New to Surface Grinders

Today is moving day and of course I am told that this machinery mover with years of experience is telling me that they strap the machine down to the truck by placing a strap across the spindle. I am not comfortable with that even though it is "blocked down". Is this typical? Wouldn't it be better to just run the strap across the base/saddle?

If it was me I wouldn't let him do that. No way. Are you going to be there to watch them load it?

I will be there with plenty of old rags to use under their straps as well. I was thinking that they should just strap down the saddle/base?

I agree but I was able to put my surface grinder in the backseat of my car. But intuition tells me to not strap the spindle. How far of a drive is it?

DO NOT STRAP OR LIFT FROM THE SPINDLE OR ANYTHING ELSE THAT SPINS!!! :cool:

You will bend the $hit out of everything and have to scrap it...

If the mover said that then find a new mover...

This is how I strapped down both of my grinders... Center of the bed straps over the saddle corner to corner...

Last edited:
Only about 10 miles. I would have done it myself but I was forced to use a licensed/bonded carrier because it was required by the terms of the auction. This thing is a little big for the back seat of a car but is manageable with a van and an engine lift I would think. I think it is around 800 lbs maybe.

I know, I have a Sanford so a quarter of the size. You have DRO scales too that need to be kept from straps.

DRO/scales are all removed. I will not let them strap the spindle. I was envisioning exactly the same method of strapping that you show in your picture. Seems perfectly fine that way...

That's what I was envisioning as well. I bet once the rigger sees the grinder he'll strap it properly.

Back