New to Surface Grinders

I have a pic of how I strapped one down below . Never go around the spindle or anything else that moves for that matter . The 618 has forklift slots which is where it should be lifted .

When I moved mine I removed the table,blocked the spindle then zip tied the wheel so it couldn’t move the spindle. Then I put a plastic bag over the whole spindle and part of saddle to keep road grime out. I then strapped the base cabinet down to the trailer. Crisscrossing the base only. The machine is bolted to the base I didn’t want any stress or bounce induced to the saddle.
When the auction said I needed a rigger I told them fine have him drop at the door I’ll do the rest. And they did. Good luck

I love the idea of having them deliver it to the front door or perhaps deliver it to my van. Only problem is they probably would have charged me $250 to move it 20 feet. I went and talked to the guy responsible for loading it and he agreed to load it as I recommended. He said that is what they were going to do anyway! I still plan to be there just in case...

Yeah I would defiantly be the supervisor on that task. Good luck
The rigger has n mine charged me 40 bucks to move maybe 20’. He was kind of struck that I had a bobcat and trailer ready to do myself. Told him I don’t trust anyone and I’m fully capable. Seen to many machines laying on their side from stupid errors.

The Harig has landed. It was not anywhere as easy as it should have been and after the machine was loaded the guy who quoted me $250 for the move tried to shake me down for $500! I am always skeptical of these guys, so it got ugly for a while but eventually the machine was delivered without any harm at the correct price. I think the machine is just fine but all-in-all the whole experience was pretty draining and makes me not want to do it again...

Thanks for all the pointers and advice.

Gary

Experiences like this is partly why I do all my moves myself.

My first purchase from a auction was a machine and tooling. Matter of fact it was my surface grinder. I came prepared and wasn’t paying a rigger. After all said and done and the grinder in my garage I was beat. Betweeen the excitement of the new purchase and the stress of everything going okay and no accidents it was definately draining. At least now she’s home clean her up and get learning.

I have a couple questions now that I can look things over more closely and the table is off. This machine has ball bearing ways and I spent some time cleaning some crud out of the ways. I notice that the balls contact the ways tangentially on the V-groove/chamfered surfaces and they look very very good. You can se the contact points from the balls but you can't feel anything on the surface. All looks smooth and evenly worn. I can see how leaving the table on during a move would ruin this pretty easily however so it was a good call to remove the table for sure.

Since this one runs ball ways it looks to me like the oil feeds to the ways are blocked because they become unnecessary. Does that make sense?

Another question relates to the oil pump... In this case the pump is feeding bearings in the spindle? Normally it feeds spindle and ways? I can trace pipes that seem to be going up toward the spindle but is this just related to the reservoir?

In this case there does not seem to be a great deal of sludge in the sump but I plan to suck the old oil out and clean it out anyway.

Another question; what is this sloped channel for in the back of the saddle casting? Is this a drain (looks like a pipe thread on the outlet) for running coolant?

Machine appears to be in really nice shape otherwise so I am hoping I can just focus on cleaning and cosmetics for the most part...

Ok. Lastly, the channel and pipe fitting is for flood coolant. Usually soluable oil. Since you are new to SGs, I feel I should mention that if you are using coolant, or grinding carbide, or using a diamond wheel (or just for personal safety) it is essential that you run a fan to draw the products of the grinding out of the building.

I can't speak to the lube issues, as I have a B&S, not a Harig.

Yes you absolutely need lube (oil) on the ball ways.

I hope these quick comments help.

Machine looks really nice. If you look above the hearing tag on the column there is a sight glass. Idk if it’s for the z axis screw or the spindle. I think you spindle is a common sealed unit that’s greased from factory. Recommend finding a manual and reading up on it.
As for the table rollers I remember reading that they are not suppose to be lubed at least a lot in the fear of grit contamination. Maybe a dry graphite spray? Idk
What’s the orange in the background looks like a gtr?

Back