New toy for old man...

FOMOGO

Active User
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Got to the point that at 72 the forward controls, and seating position on the Harley just weren't working for me anymore. Saw this allegedly low mile 78 Bonneville on Craigs list that was close by. It belonged to a nice young man that just didn't have the knowledge, or experience to deal with it, and wanted out. He had spent several grand on parts and "Professional" service fee's, and still wasn't happy with it. I've owned several Brit bikes over the years, and raced and maintained a 65 TT120 flat tracker back when, so I'm pretty confident I can cure it's issues. will be nice to be riding something a lot lighter, and better suited to doing the twisty's, and B roads that I favor. The clip on bars will be going, and will give it a thorough going over soon, but need to finish up The mill first. Mike

IMG_20230411_140458564_HDR.jpgIMG_20230411_140514297_HDR.jpg

This year it will pretty much stay as it is other than new bars, and some tuning work. This coming winter I'm thinking about stroking it, and alloy cylinder with nicasil impregnated bores, and a modern ring pack, along with some suspension mods, and making it as light as possible. Probably my last hurrah bike wise, so might as well have some fun making it all it can be . Mike

that's a looker! Making any accessories or mods shouldn't be much of an issue with the machines you have :)

Brings back memories ,
The oil in the frame Triumphs had oil foaming issues. I have no idea what the fix is .

And your not a limey rider if you don't know what BSA means.

Allot of folks think it means The Birmingham Small Arms Company Limited (BSA) But after riding a BSA you start calling it something different .

BSA means Bastard Stop Again.
Better carry a tool bag electrical and bailing wire and the valve adjustment covers fall off and get lost allot.
If I remember right a 1954 international pick up engine drain pan plug will work for the 500 and 650cc twins for the valve cover caps.
Never had any issues with oval valve covers.
LOL I can not count how times some my triumphs caught on fire.. way more the a few, once going down the road..

The wires in the Lucas electrical system was always shorting out...

Nice bike,, I loved all of mine, I also had the trident and rocket III

This year it will pretty much stay as it is other than new bars, and some tuning work. This coming winter I'm thinking about stroking it, and alloy cylinder with nicasil impregnated bores, and a modern ring pack, along with some suspension mods, and making it as light as possible. Probably my last hurrah bike wise, so might as well have some fun making it all it can be . Mike
I believe the hot kit for the 650 eeees was a 720 cc kit.
Doesn't make much difference, when the 750 four Hondas came out Triumph.BSA and Notons were sinking ships......... The 850 commandos wouldnt hang with the 750 fours. then Kawasaki came out with the Z1 900cc , pretty much destroying everything on the road.
Also company called ARD made a reliable Magneto for triumphs.

Back