New toy for old man...

Congrats on your new toy.
My only experience with Triumphs is "bring oil" and "Adjust tappets every time you ride"

Had a couple...learned to ride without lights at night on the first one. Great bike for curvy backroads.

That's a nice picture, and I have done that very thing many, many times in the past on a variety of machines. Cheers, Mike

I picture you uphill on Rabbit Ears Pass blowing by the RV's.

Last edited:
Nice pic. Yes, the horror stories are often worse than the reality. I generally end up rewiring my bikes to simplify things any way. This one has already had quite a few upgrades, including electronic ignition, led lighting, upgraded coils, and a few other improved components. Cheers, Mike

Nice bike, I had one that my buddy leant to me to fix up. Never had as much trouble with electrics as others seemed to have. Guess I like electrics.

I had a 74 CB750, the only new machine I've ever owned. I really enjoyed it, and loved the way it rev'ed, and how smooth it was, but neither the Honda nor especially the mind bendingly fast Z1, which I rode when it first came out, handled nearly as well as the Brit bikes of the same era, and the 850 Norton was faster than the 750 Honda according to Cycle Magazine. Now if your talking about comfort, and ease/lack of maintenance, then the Jap bikes win hands down. In the end, for me, It's how it makes you feel when you ride it. Cheers, Mike

Doesn't make much difference, when the 750 four Hondas came out Triumph.BSA and Notons were sinking ships......... The 850 commandos wouldnt hang with the 750 fours. then Kawasaki came out with the Z1 900cc , pretty much destroying everything on the road.

Last edited:
Had lots of brit bikes.
350 AJS and Matchless singles, with spaghetti frames, if you had to brake hard the rear would start to overtake the front.
650 Matchless, awesome and fast, 140+ according to the smiths chronometric speedo.
BSA's, 175 bantam, never broke down but did shear the engine mounts, came home from Brands Hatch holding the engine in with my feet and for a couple of weeks after that. A7 plunger, nice ride, passable handling, no real problems, A10 plunger, faster, semi chopper, handled fine. RGS, cafe racer, stupidly fast very good handling.
Nortin commando, fast, good handling but vibrated quite a lot.
Triumph, Tiger cub, appalling in every way, I could never get it running for 3 consecutive days both electrical and mechanical, I hated it. This was the only bike I ever had electrical problems with, never did cure them.
Triton, pre unit T120 in a Norton featherbed frame. E3134's, again stupidly fast, awesome handling, loved it.
triton.jpg
My only none brit bikes were two WL harleys, one WW2 military trim and one fully chopped.
I found the military one slow, handling so so, aim and hope for the best but the chopper was very good in handling, acceleration and speed. Both my wife and I loved it.
hd2.jpg
hd1.jpg

I miss my bikes but in all honesty I wouldnt trust myself riding them these days.

Last edited:
Back