New toy for old man...

I had a 74 CB750, the only new machine I've ever owned. I really enjoyed it, and loved the way it rev'ed, and how smooth it was, but neither the Honda nor especially the mind bending fast Z1, which I rode when it first came out, handled nearly as well as the Brit bikes of the same era, and the 850 Norton was faster than the 750 Honda according to Cycle Magazine. Now if your talking about comfort, and ease/lack of maintenance, then the Jap bikes win hands down. In the end, for me, It's how it makes you feel when you ride it. Cheers, Mike
I've mostly had Hondas. Started with a Trail 70. Then a CL70, CL360 (had a couple), CB450. Had a couple Honda 100's and a 125. Had a Suzuki triple, Kawasaki 550, and then took a break for a few years.
Then it was Honda Shadow VT1100T, Suzuki crotch rocket (hated that bike), VLX 600 (had a couple of those), Shadow VT750 and now I only have a Shadow VTX 1300R
I've ridden many other bikes but, oddly, never a Harley or a Triumph. My former BIL had a Triumph. He spent more time fixing it than he did riding it.

This is the VTX 1300R
20180701_165552.jpg

Last edited:
I had a 74 CB750, the only new machine I've ever owned. I really enjoyed it, and loved the way it rev'ed, and how smooth it was, but neither the Honda nor especially the mind bendingly fast Z1, which I rode when it first came out, handled nearly as well as the Brit bikes of the same era, and the 850 Norton was faster than the 750 Honda according to Cycle Magazine. Now if your talking about comfort, and ease/lack of maintenance, then the Jap bikes win hands down. In the end, for me, It's how it makes you feel when you ride it. Cheers, Mike
I had a buddy in high school that had a Norton 850 special. He let me ride it once, headed down the street and when I was ready to shift into third I looked down and was already going 50mph. I thought it was fast even compared to my Kawasaki H1.

John

Have no pics of my Trumpet. Most aggravating thing was electrics. "Lucas; Prince of Darkness".

But tossing it around backroads was big fun. They probably had the best frame and suspension for the time. I kind of thought the Yamaha XS 650 for '76-'78 (?) had copied it somewhat.

But all good things get replaced. Went to a police auction in Louisville Kentucky, brought cases, and pretty much the whole bottom end for a panhead. Started down that road in '77, wound up like this:
Desktop (2021_05_19 01_22_57 UTC).jpg
Still have it; looks pretty much the same. Then I stepped into modern times. Dyna Lowrider. Fell in love with the Evolution motor. Still have it.
Desktop Lowrider (2021_05_19 01_22_57 UTC).jpg

Was all stock. Not anymore. :cool:

Isn't the Bonneville the one with some kind of insane internal timing setup?? It's ringing some old memory of mine.
Seems the gears and placement are such that the setup marks only come around *correctly* every 300-some revolutions and if you try to set it up, you can, but it never runs right.
I might have that wrong, but almost certain it's the old Triumphs.

Yeah, while it's true that "You meet the nicest people on a Honda", The majority of us Harley, and Triumph riders are forever to be cast (and often rightly so) in the Hooligan class. ;) Mike
You are soooo right! I'm funny, I get out on either of my bikes and I'm in another world. I do not want or need attention save occasional "Brotherhood Of The Underpass" meeting during thunderstorms. I do get left alone for the most part...see my avatar.

Hooligans no. Maybe misunderstood at times. I’ve rode with both types. Was a motor officer 94-95. Sign you don’t see says police parking only. Other picture was when I lived in mountains by Harpers ferry.

Attachments

• 4B685D73-5C43-4D00-93D7-018CCBAE82F9.jpeg
    4B685D73-5C43-4D00-93D7-018CCBAE82F9.jpeg
    165.4 KB · Views: 7
  • C4D613D6-D786-4588-B9A6-D6EBA5A576E7.jpeg
    C4D613D6-D786-4588-B9A6-D6EBA5A576E7.jpeg
    327.4 KB · Views: 7
Back