New use for a seldom used drill press

Hi Paul,

Could you comment on the yellow worklamps? That is a sweet lathe by the way.

Regards,

Jeff

Pauls making himself a Smithy... :p :biggrin:

GRANITE1340IMAX.jpg

Sorry, that's the first thing that came to mind. :lmao:

-Ron

GRANITE1340IMAX.jpg

GRANITE1340IMAX.jpg

Inspired!!

Thank you. Your set up gave me a great idea
of how to mount a smaller arrangement on my
Atlas 618. I have been working on various ways
to mount a holder to make small gears using
the milling attachment.

I want to emulate the Atlas Millerette of the 1930's
and have sketched various designs.

Instead of the drilling head I shall put in place an adjustable
spindle in the z-axis.

Nice shots.

Hi Paul,

Could you comment on the yellow worklamps? That is a sweet lathe by the way.

Regards,

Jeff

Thanks Jeff
I use the yellow in the work lamps to cut down on glare from the shinney spinning objects in the chuck. I tryed different colours , and yellow seemed to work for me. The really bright LEDs used to drive me crazy. They would shine back into my eyes the worst.

Pauls making himself a Smithy... :p :biggrin:

GRANITE1340IMAX.jpg

Sorry, that's the first thing that came to mind. :lmao:

-Ron

Ron

The pic is all wrong, and the name is SIDNEY
hahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Well maybe, sorta, kinda, Naw, Sidney! ;)

GRANITE1340IMAX.jpg

GRANITE1340IMAX.jpg

Nice idea, I have one of those drill presses that came from my dad. Used it for a variety of things already, I think maybe some more uses are going on the list.

I will be trying the yellow lamp strategy. I find I have the same issue.

Thanks,

Jeff

Tail Stock Chuck

8NTSANE

You have a chuck in the tail stock. Is that used for indexing or?

8NTSANE

You have a chuck in the tail stock. Is that used for indexing or?

Bobbyjim

I have a few different chucks that get used in the tail stock. Some with, and without bearings. The one you see is just for large drills. Though I have used chucks in the tailstock to aid doing simple indexing. I have at times needed to
do a bolt pattern, or side drilling. Sometimes the work piece has no provision
to use a dead/live centre, or bull nose centre. In that case, a chuck in the tail stock is your best friend.

In use to aid you in indexing. Here is a example of indexing, in the most back woods simple form. Ok, the part is allready turned, and you want a bolt pattern
on the face. The 3 jaw chuck can be used with a level set on the jaw to get 3 equally spaced index points. The lathe need not be perfectly level, just make sure you level the jaw for each 120 degree rotation. Works well for a three bolt pattern.
You can allso do a 4-bolt pattern with a 4-jaw and level just as easy at 90 degree
steps as well.

In my case, if Im doing the quick , and dirty method of idexing. I will grab the work piece at the tailstock end with the chuck. This is used to lock the work piece, and spindle in position, while doing these operations.When using a chuck in the tailstock to lock the work piece in position, I would just put the chuck key in place, hang a rope with a weight off the key. This will take up any rotational slack in the quill of the T/S. Hope that makes sense ;)

Back