New use for a seldom used drill press

Hi Guys

After playing around with this little drill press last night. Looking for a way to mount it up with the spindle horizontal. See the above pics. I wasnt happy with trying to get around the pole, and pinch clamp. After looking at it again tonight, I decided the pole is got to go. The tin belt sheilds are big , and taking up room I could use, so off they came. The result was a much cleaner, and simple install. About all I have left to do now is make a support so it cant get knocked out of alignment. As shown in these pics, the angle plate is mounted directly to the housing of the drill press. I have a aluminum disc with a step that fits the hole the vertical post used to fit in.

Here is the pics of the revised setup, and if I want to ever use it again in the vertical position, no problem, just slide the tube back in, and tighten up the 2-set screws, and bolt the base to the compound as shown in the first pics. I think this is going to be a very usefull tool.

2012-03-08195324.jpg

2012-03-08195315.jpg

2012-03-08195151.jpg

2012-03-08195032.jpg

The pics show how I aligned the drill press spindle using a centre in the 4-jaw, and tailstock.
Set up in this manner, I can back the crosslide up, and get 6 inches from the lathe spindle centre line , to the drill press spindle centre line. That should be plenty. ;)

Have 2- different shop made QCTP drillers, but this rig out does them both. The step pulley arrangement gives me better selection of speeds. For drilling in the way the pics show, the carriage can be used instead of the DP quill, another plus.

2012-03-08195324.jpg

2012-03-08195324.jpg

2012-03-08195315.jpg

2012-03-08195315.jpg

2012-03-08195151.jpg

2012-03-08195151.jpg

2012-03-08195032.jpg

2012-03-08195032.jpg

Allright, I gotta admit, I love what you've done with the head from the drill press, it should be quite useful.

I promised myself that I wouldn't say anything about... well.... the missing belt guard, but I can't keep quiet about it. I don't want to preach, and I don't want to sound like the safety police, and I certainly don't want to be accused of flaming.

So.... PLEASE, please figure out some sort of guard to cover the pulleys and drive belt. We want you to be a member here for a long time, posting your ideas and projects. As it is, that motor pulley is just too much out in the open and waiting to grab a finger, shirt, or the neighbor girl's hair.

Allright, I gotta admit, I love what you've done with the head from the drill press, it should be quite useful.

I promised myself that I wouldn't say anything about... well.... the missing belt guard, but I can't keep quiet about it. I don't want to preach, and I don't want to sound like the safety police, and I certainly don't want to be accused of flaming.

So.... PLEASE, please figure out some sort of guard to cover the pulleys and drive belt. We want you to be a member here for a long time, posting your ideas and projects. As it is, that motor pulley is just too much out in the open and waiting to grab a finger, shirt, or the neighbor girl's hair.

Thanks for the concern about the guard Terry
I didn't like the pulleys and belt being open like that either. I had a shield I was using on it, but wasn't happy with it, and still havnt got around to making a new one. I guess that's a project that should be put up to the front of the line. I admit, Ive used that thing enough times, that a shield should be on it at all times. I have been thinking the guard needs to be on a hinge of some sort, to be able to get at the belt and change speeds. I did hold off on the guard thinking I might not use this rig much. Turns out, It will be staying in that configuration, so yes a guard is in order.

Back