New using saws in the milling machine

A few comments. Slitting saws NEED rigidity which unfortunately benchtop mills do not. Slitting saws need very low rpm's and PATIENTS. I've jammed and ripped more than a few parts out of a vice trying to use a 3" blade on a Bridgeport. Cutting oil is a must use as well. I honestly don't think you will have success. A Morse taper setup is also a disadvantage as there is no postitve drawbar to help add retention and rigidity to the arbor. Cutting vibrations could cause the taper to release and that will end up real bad.
Just because its morse taper doesn't mean it doesn't have a drawbar. All the morse taper milling machines I have seen (mainly emco and atlas) have drawbars.

Slitting steel on a small mill can be done, but it is slow. I cut these slots on my small mill using a 1/16" (1.6mm) thick, 4" (100mm) diameter saw. It took me 2-1/2 hours! The slots are 25mm deep. You need a lot of oil. Wear an apron or some bad clothes, because you will have oil on you. 30mm diameter mandrel made of 1045 steel. A 4" blade is too big for my mill, but I did not know that when I bought it.
PXL_20220225_232202712.jpg

I've been using slitting saws for 40 years, in a little Sherline mill and a larger RF-31, and have had zero issues with these saws in either mill. I think a benchtop mill can easily use these saws; my Sherline is about 40# soaking wet and it blazes through aluminum, steel, stainless and brass parts with no problems. Same for my RF-31.

I do believe a good arbor is important. Sierra American makes good ones and shop made versions of similar design will also work well.

Slitting saws are intended to cut to full depth all at once. There is no need to sneak up on a cut. They also are meant to produce a chip. It works best to feed manually so that you feel a slight resistance to the feed, thus assuring the saw is cutting continuously.

Lots of lubricant is a good thing. You have two sides clamping down on the blade and lube helps reduce friction and heat.

Always feed conventionally.

Thank you veeeery much for all your help and answers!!

The mill has a draw bar with a M10 thread.

And yes, I´m very carefull using the mill an the lathe. Apron, protection glasses and sometimes a plexiglass mask to cover all the face (I´m ugly enough)

Back