Newby intro and home machine shop advice

thanks for the welcome guys. i'll be looking for used equipment in a detached two car garage (20x20). most of my projects in the past have been auto and motorcycle parts i guess. found plans online and made a jd2 bender but i think thats about it for tools that i can think of. we had a little boy 2 1/2 yrs ago, our first, so not a whole lot of projects getting done recently. i've been doing some side jobs at local breweries and have been contracting a few machining jobs out to a friend. seems like a pretty good excuse to expand my tool arsenal and do it myself. :grin: would be nice to teach jr when he gets older and pass him down all my toys too. definitely have an addiction to toys and tools. looks like its going to get a lot more expensive

I'd be interested in a copy of the bender plans if you can post them. I have a long term truck project that needs some bent tubing..

Good luck! Doing something similar. Being on the west coast have a look at Sterling Machine out of California. A huge inventory and they are having an open house promotional sale this monday (Victoria Day). I myself will be calling? Had a great experience with Eisen. They even pitched in 1200$'to help ship my lathe from California to the East Coast leaving me with just a six hundred dollar shipping bill. Was quoted on a shipping price of a similar size but decided on an industrial machine with more mass and they stepped up. Incredible experience dealing with them. I know you said used but it might be worth your time to at least inquire with either Eisen and as stated Precision Matthews. It s scary how expensive this undertaking is. It Snowballs quick.

Toys! Speaking of cars, my HPW (High Performance Wedge) plates on my old Charger 440 had expired. I was bummed. So my girlfriend at the time looked at the new plate & exclaimed, "Just Another Toy". Cheared me right up.

Brockwood I called Sterling on monday and it may be worth you while to give them a call. I am looking for a mill and have some I would consider buying but just too costly to ship it out to the North East Coast. Your on the same coast. Might be worth your time.

Hey Mark, not sure where you’re from but have you looked in Ontario. There seems to be a fair amount there and a hell of a lot closer.

Yes lewey that s the plan. I Have a wedding to go to early july in Toronto and plan on spending a few days going to some of the massive warehouses selling used machine tools. It s still worth looking in the states though. Some of these places are tired of moving there used equipment and there are some deals to be had. Like I stated earlier you may find the right situation and worth the shipping cost.

Back