No more MAPP!

rwm

Robert
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
In another thread I learned that MAPP gas is no longer available. There are substitutes with deceptively similar labeling. Unfortunately their flame temperatures are no where near the same. In fact I recently bought a can of MAP-Pro and I feel I have been scammed. Is this an unfair and deceptive trade practice?
I note that Butane is up there for flame temp. Why is this relegated to lighters and not commonly used in torches?

Butane is used commonly but only for the small, micro-style of torch. These work great, by the way, but for small jobs only. No idea why it’s not available for the larger type of torch.

1671592200975.jpeg

I have a couple of remaining bottles. I use it sparingly.

WTF?
Why?

This is a standard for me at my local Home Hardware store.
I will need to see if they have on the shelf.......

-brino

In another thread I learned that MAPP gas is no longer available. There are substitutes with deceptively similar labeling. Unfortunately their flame temperatures are no where near the same. In fact I recently bought a can of MAP-Pro and I feel I have been scammed. Is this an unfair and deceptive trade practice?
I note that Butane is up there for flame temp. Why is this relegated to lighters and not commonly used in torches?
They haven't made MAPP gas since 2008. I have one or two bottles of the "good" stuff and a few more of the new "non-mapp" gas.
I guess if I really want to get something hot, it would be oxy/acetylene time.

Last edited:
If you google it, MAPP was discontinued because it burns cooler than acetylene, and costs substantially more than acetylene.

We Pro Press everything these days anyway.

Back