No more MAPP!

What the heck are you supposed to sweat copper pipe with propane? Particularly when it's cold out, I'll say it's impossible. I don't have a small, easy to maneuver bottle of acetylene. If they can make MAPP/pro for consumers, why not regular MAPP? This reminds of last year when I was re-staining my deck and I only had a half gallon of the "good stuff" left so I went to pick up another gallon. Some very effective ingredient was outlawed here in Colorado. Something about its V.O.C's. Stop protecting me from myself!

Acetylene b tank and a turbo torch rig. I've soldered 4-6" with a B tank. Silver soldered 2-3", any bigger and an oxygen acetylene rig is needed.

I'm gonna get me some dicyanoacetylene. It has a flame temp of 9010 deg F!

Last edited:
Ah, this explains it. In 1992, I built our new home and soldered all the water heat and potable water pipes with Mapp. It went fast.

Last year I did some re work with todays's imitation Mapp and lead free solder. Got the job done, but struggled. thought the issue was me. I knew about the solder but not the Mapp.

I'm gonna get me so dicyanoacetylene. It has a flame temp of 9010 deg F!
An excerpt from Wikipedia:

"Because of its high endothermic heat of formation, it can explode to carbon powder and nitrogen gas, and it burns in oxygen with a bright blue-white flame at a temperature of 5260 K (4990 °C, 9010 °F), the hottest flame in oxygen; burnt in ozone at high pressure the flame temperature exceeds 6000 K (5730 °C, 10340 °F)) "

I wonder what color it emits when it explodes???

Years ago, I had a Craftsman carbon arc torch. The carbon arc torch is reputed to have a temperature as high as 35,000ºF.

I suspect that most people here have never used actual MAPP gas. (I haven't). It's been gone for a long time, and the MAP/Pro or whatever is what most of us think of. Personally, I really like MAP/Pro for being hotter than propane, but sparing me firing up my OA rig. (Which is good, since my acetylene regulator has apparently given up the ghost...). But yeah, need hot? Get acetylene. For all its failings, it's still around for a reason.

GsT

I used to have true MAPP gas in the past. It was hot. I unknowingly bought the new stuff and I could not figure out why my silver soldering was not going so well. I have since moved to an oxygen concentrator and propane setup. Cheaper and easier than OA but the flame size is limited by the O2 generator output.

If you google it, MAPP was discontinued because it burns cooler than acetylene, and costs substantially more than acetylene.
That's what I heard. I have bought both, and found the acetylene to be more expensive. It costs me $25.00 to refill a 10 cu ft MC tank. This is substantially less convenient than the 14 oz MAPP or MAPP PRO yellow bottle. It is true that it is hotter. A B tank is a better deal, but for small customers, the supply is so variable and volatile that it is pretty unpleasant to deal with. It's so much more pleasant to just use argon for everything welding and oxy-propane for anything else. Just don't see the need for acetylene anymore.

Back