Noga Mini Cool mist coolant

Here is my mister mounts. Several different rod shapes to accommodate different setups. I also added an air regulator, solenoid valve, and a relay tyed into my mill's "MIST" control. And a LOC-LINE hose to pick up mist overshoot. I mostly use "spitting" rather than mist.

Mister1.jpgMisterArm2.jpg

Ken

I had a "Kool Mist"unit. Adjustment on the body and one on the nozzle. Hated it. Took tweaking every time I started it.
I bought this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/172808523009
And have loved it. There similar ones for cheaper too.
Ken

I bought this one as well as the Noga mist cool. Where did you get the 8mm hose and the fitting to attach to the air compressor line?

I just checked, and it's 5/16"OD x 3/16"ID Tygon. 5/16"=0.3125 " 8mm=0.315" So, close enough. ;)

Ken

I have a fogbuster unit. I also have a Trico MD 1200. Both are microdrop units and work similarly well. A couple of years ago I made a bunch of fogbuster units from scratch for use at the school. I made my own needle valves and personally I find my slightly larger valve to provide better control than my original fogbuster. I also included a dovetail mount which is better than the miserable fogbuster arrangement. This thread may be of interest if you decide to roll your own. https://weldingweb.com/showthread.php?655951-Homemade-fogbuster-style-fog-less-mister

I've seen machines that used these and were coated with sticky film. Is that a downside? I wonder also about operators lungs.
This stuff is pretty safe. It's similar in a lot of ways to simple green cleaner. It has a detergent from the expanded cellosolv family of glycol ethers selected for safer properties over simple glycol ethers. It has a tertiary amine surfactant just like your shower products. Keeping the fog to a minimum by misting with droplets is about the only precaution to take with this stuff, pretty low risk for us in the hobby shop.

The only reason you will get rust is if you are diluting the coolant too much with water. Over time, the nozzles can clog and they are not easy to clean out. Your coolant selection will make a difference in the vapors toxcity, I had tech cool at my last job, it was ok until they went to a chlorine free formula which sucked, then then went to a Haugen coolant, that turned into cottage cheese when they swapped over, now they use some Castrol and it has its own problems. I used to lay in the tech cool when inside the mills doing PM's, eventually I became allergic to it. Most coolants will go sticky if allowed to dry.

Stay away from the fat based coolants, they will start to stink when they get old. Synthetic is the only way to go.

I thought you were suppposed to mix with distilled water? Doesn't distilled water not cause rust

Water causes rust, most coolants want about 7-9% solution, less than 5% you get rust, more than 12-13% it becomes like tar/honey and wont want to feed correctly through the nozzle.

Back