Non toxic coolant

If you get 6061 aluminium hot during turning, you do something totally different than me. I use CCGT060204-AK H01 inserts (ground, polished uncoated) for aluminium and can cut at 90m/min, 0.1 mm/rev, 1 mm deep without cooling or lubrication. The stock is not getting hot and the finish is TOP.
I am with Herk, check/change your cutting tool.

If you get 6061 aluminium hot during turning, you do something totally different than me. I use CCGT060204-AK H01 inserts (ground, polished uncoated) for aluminium and can cut at 90m/min, 0.1 mm/rev, 1 mm deep without cooling or lubrication. The stock is not getting hot and the finish is TOP.
Thanks for everyone's input!
Interesting, I'm getting a great finish with the brazed carbide and I've tried the carbide inserts as well at various different speeds and I get a way better finish with the brazed. Honestly I didn't pay much attention to the heat of the material when I was experimenting with the 2 different tools. I just noticed it when I chose the brazed due to the finish. Any suggestions on getting a better finish with the inserts?

To the OP . Being a mini-lathe , you may not get to the depth for the chip to take the heat out of the part . Aluminum should not get hot , maybe warm but not hot to the touch .

Isopropanol is interesting. I heard and read that the FDA was asking manufacturers to show their long term safety data on human exposure. They were considering more scrutiny. Apparently there is little to no data even though it has been used on humans medically for decades. This was in late 2019...I'll let you figure out what happened...

The metabolic pathways and mechanisms of toxicity are unchanged, but the popularity of isopropanol has increased greatly. Hospitals used to disinfect with formaldehyde, an IARC class 1A confirmed human carcinogen. Then they replaced it with glutaraldehyde, only recognized by nongovernmental organizations as a potential carcinogen... but that stuff was also toxic, and they changed to cavicide... which is mildly toxic, unless you use it all day long... so they replaced that with isopropyl. It's not bad, but will burn your eyes, defat your skin, and outrun your liver if you are absorbing too much of the stuff. So it is still toxic. Water is toxic. It will kill you if you drink too much, like 4 gallons in an hour. Kill you dead because your nerves can't move the impulses to your motors and sensors without the right sodium-potassium balance.

All substances are poisons; it's the dose that makes the poison. -Paracelsus

To the OP . Being a mini-lathe , you may not get to the depth for the chip to take the heat out of the part . Aluminum should not get hot , maybe warm but not hot to the touch .

It just occurred to me I was using a dead center as I don't have a live center yet. I did have it lubed with CRC. Could using a dead center add that much friction and heat?

Reactions: rwm
It just occurred to me I was using a dead center as I don't have a live center yet. I did have it lubed with CRC. Could using a dead center add that much friction and heat?
Absolutely . And the hotter it gets , the more it grows . The more it grows , the hotter it gets ! :grin:

Back