Now Here's A "diamond In The Rough" Project!

Yes, that's to lock the knee when you need a little extra rigidity.

The paint job is looking good!

Cal

Thanks Cal,

Looking ahead, cleaning up the top "ram section?" is going to be a chore. Looks like there's a seal leaking somewhere. As I'm initially only anticipating using it to mount a Bridgeport M head, I'm wondering if it may be simplest to remove the original cutting head and right angle drive from the section until such time as I might wish for horizontal milling capability. And as I'd have to rig up a secondary drive to do that, it's likely not happening for a while. But before I begin removing them I'd like to have some idea what I'm dealing with. And of course I don't want to lose any critical alignments I'll regret later. Is there a VN 1/2 breakdown available anywhere? Has anyone done this?

Advice is always welcome!

VN60.JPG

Paul,

There should be 3 bolts that hold the cutter-head to the side of the ram. Remove them and the head should come off the side of the ram, leaving the pinion gear sticking out the side of the ram. I would leave the right angle drive in place, it shouldn't be in your way.

You will find that for vertical milling the original cutter head is far more capable than your Bridgeport M-head ever dreamed of being. Unless you are pressed for time, I suggest that you clean up and use the original cutter head for milling and use the M-head for drilling operations.

Did the previous owner have it set up with a motor?

Cal

I vote with Cal , rebuild the head it will mill better then the little m head will . It shouldn't be to bad after all if it was made back when it was made to be rebuilt . We use to do things that way not like the by new and throw away nation we've become. Good luck with her and nice job on the rebuild so far , keep it up we will be proud with you . Gary

Thanks Cal and Gary,

I appreciate your advice and I will clean up and keep the VN head on the machine. The previous owner, I don't believe, ever used the VN head, because it shows no sign of being set up with a motor. I did get a single VN collet and connecting rod/tube. The machine itself did come with quite a few original drive elements but I unbolted everything I could that was attached to the base to facilitate the move. I would like to eventually develop the capability to use the VN head, but to simplify and streamline/modernize the motor drive mechanics if possible. Has anyone done so? Can you direct me to any relevant threads on doing this?

VN62.JPG

Something that may be interesting to you guys is the way the previous owner adapted the Bridgeport head to the VN base - he fabricated a "slotted collet", turned to fit the B-M head shaft OD and the VN head base ID.

I don't know if this is common or not?

Just cleaning off the surface rust - would you coat it with a light oil or would that affects it's holding capability?

P1020305.JPG

P1020304.JPG

I very much appreciate your advice and suggestions. This, for me, is so far only a "restoration", but my hope is to actually learn how to use it when I'm done.

Paul

I'm not picturing how the M-head was attached to the machine. Can you elaborate? Oiling the adapter tube won't affect it's holding power.

If you look at the photos that I posted of my 1/2, you can see how it was done there. It had a gearbox that sat between the motor and the pulleys that drove the horizontal shaft into the right angle drive. You could just mount a 3-phase motor where the gearbox is and change the flat belt pulley on the shaft to a double-belt pulley, like that used on my old machine. Run the motor with a VFD. It should be very straight forward to make a bracket for the motor. I would use at least a 3HP motor so that you still have some torque when you dial it down.

Here's how another guy did it:
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...86209109-van-norman-came-cold-l-img_4612a.jpg
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...an-came-cold-vn_one_half_table_feed_belts.jpg

Cal

Thanks for those images - that certainly is a do-able project! I assume the pointed to components are transferring power to drive the table x feed?

VN mods.jpg

The bracket holding the pulleys the motor is driving to power the VN head I assume (in my pile of "spare parts") is this one? I'll have to drag it out and see how I can separate the belt wheels from the shaft. Thank goodness I didn't part these out - just the other day someone was asking me if I wanted to part with the VN head . . .

VN62a.jpg

Regarding the BP adapter . . .

The shaft the BP is attached to . . .

P1010879.JPG

fits into the VN ram head

IMGP0012.JPG

with the ID/OD difference compensated, and held in place, via the slotted collet . . .

Thanks again!

Paul

I'm not picturing how the M-head was attached to the machine. Can you elaborate? Oiling the adapter tube won't affect it's holding power.

If you look at the photos that I posted of my 1/2, you can see how it was done there. It had a gearbox that sat between the motor and the pulleys that drove the horizontal shaft into the right angle drive. You could just mount a 3-phase motor where the gearbox is and change the flat belt pulley on the shaft to a double-belt pulley, like that used on my old machine. Run the motor with a VFD. It should be very straight forward to make a bracket for the motor. I would use at least a 3HP motor so that you still have some torque when you dial it down.

Here's how another guy did it:
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...86209109-van-norman-came-cold-l-img_4612a.jpg
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...an-came-cold-vn_one_half_table_feed_belts.jpg

Cal
Cal, I tried to find the original source from the PM forum you referenced, but I ran out of patience in the 77 pages there. Could you get me to it? Thanks!

Paul,

OK, I see now, the M-head mounts in place of the overarm arbor support. Do you have the arbor support bar? I see that you have the bracket that goes on the bar.

You have correctly identified the belts in the first photo. If I was you, I would use the existing pulleys with flat belts, which also gets your table feed working. I would remove the big bull-wheel from the bracket and shaft in the back of your pile, belt up the motor there and run everything else with flat belts. Do you have the idler pulleys that mount near the bottom of the base?

Here are a few sources for flat belts.:

I put some photos of my machine in post number #19 of your thread:

Cal

Cal,

While I know I'm not going to be able to devote the time to accomplish getting the VN head functioning right away, because we're talking about this right now I'd like to sort out in my mind a plan for when I do.

I believe A is the arbor support bar you were asking about, and C is the arbor support bracket.

I have absolutely no idea what B is, or where it goes, as it was never connected when I bought the machine. I think that is the "bull wheel" part you suggested I connect an external motor to? Can you tell me where that attaches??

I do have the idler pulleys and shaft that connect to the base - I took them off during cleaning and painting.

From the image you provided I recognize E as the mechanism driving the table feed.

I also realize now I'm missing the large hand wheel that connects to the table feed mechanism (in front).

VN62a.jpg

As always I appreciate your help.

Paul

Last edited:
Back