Now I went and did it. Let the fun begin!

Tim, congrats on the new machines, they will be worth the wait hang in there. You should be able to find Mark's (mksj) posts and see what you need for the VFD enclosure. His specs should be a closer size for your machine than the actual VFD I purchased. The overall set up is very similar regardless of the machine, Mark helped me size the right components for my build out. As for the control panel, I used what came stock on my lathe. I swapped a couple of items in the holes, and only drilled 1 very small hole for a toggle switch, and made an insert to reduce the size of one hole. If you do need to make a new plate, with your new mill that should be easy work. Let me know if I can help with any VFD questions. Mark is the true expert but if I can take some of his Q&A load off with the easy questions, happy to help.

I just ordered a PM-835S and a PM-1236T 3 phase with lots of accessories for both. Now the wait has begun.

So now I need to purchase a VFD and hope I can find a control panel like @BladesIIB has on his lathe.

Tim :grin:
Congrats on the new machines. If you want to make your own control panels, try FrontPanelExpress.com They made the panels for my machines.

IMG_6815.jpeg

IMG_1467.jpeg

IMG_3603.jpeg

Thanks Bud, I have watched your video a couple times I'll have to check it out again.

Thanks Dave, I will definitely check out Front Panel Express.

Hey, congratulations on the new machines! ....yes, the wait is the killer, more so than the weight! :grin:

Thanks guys, I'm about a year a head of schedule but the way the world is going I thought I better get them while I can. The price went up just about two grand since may as it was.

On the lathe, if I wait a little longer maybe a couple month I can get a single phase unit. Is it worth getting a 3 phase unit for a hobby guy? What are the real benefits to having a three phase?

Tim

On the lathe, if I wait a little longer maybe a couple month I can get a single phase unit. Is it worth getting a 3 phase unit for a hobby guy? What are the real benefits to having a three phase?

Tim
Pro's on 3-phase
1) You can add a VFD to a 3-phase if you ever want variable speed control
2) 3-phase motors are smoother. constant torque through the full 360 output, where single phase torque "pulses" as it spins. This can make a difference on finish quality.

Obviously the big downside to three-phase is the added cost and complexity of converting to three phase from single phase.

Back