Now I went and did it. Let the fun begin!

Very nice looking, but I have no issues tramming by the age old method using a dial test indicator on an arm attached to the spindle. That said, IMHO I think this is a far more versatile setup (your mileage may differ) :)

Last edited:
I haven't ordered anything yet, I have the Accusize indicator in my cart but I like that the unit that yota posted is made in the USA other then the dial indicators are made in China.

Where is the Accusize stuff made?

So on my lathe, PM1236T, how much room do I need at the tailstock end. Let me rephrase, I'm planning on placing the lathe perpendicular to a wall. How much room should I leave between the tailstock and the wall? I'm thinking 12".

Tim

I don't know if you need any more than enough room to operate the tailstock handwheel. I need more room on mine to access the circulating pump. I also need room behind my lathe to access the electrical panel and main power switch. And if I ever need to the motor and belts. Depending on your layout it might be nice to have a work surface, maybe the top of a roll around tool cabinet at the end.

I haven't ordered anything yet, I have the Accusize indicator in my cart but I like that the unit that yota posted is made in the USA other then the dial indicators are made in China.

Where is the Accusize stuff made?
you can buy it without the dial indicators and use your own.

I would think that I should have the mill trammed before making a measuring tool like that.

Still a good idea though, as that does give me something to make.

I don't know if you need any more than enough room to operate the tailstock handwheel. I need more room on mine to access the circulating pump. I also need room behind my lathe to access the electrical panel and main power switch. And if I ever need to the motor and belts. Depending on your layout it might be nice to have a work surface, maybe the top of a roll around tool cabinet at the end.

Thanks Larry,

The way I have planned is the whole back of the lathe will accessible. The trail stock will be toward the wall. If I'm standing at the lathe the mill will be behind me, basically over my right shoulder and a roll around tool storage/ work bench will be to my left.

Thanks for the input by the way.

I've always tried to arrange things so any walk space has two or 3 (U shape) sided use. Commonly used things within arms reach of where they are used. But reality creeps in sometimes and compromises get made. Storage should be adjustable, expandable. Not all drawers should be the same depth. Most shallow but there are always those things that are bulkier. My shop is in the corner of a woodshop, dust is a problem. So I try to keep things enclosed. I cover my lathe before I leave to keep the way oil from getting sticky with dust. I keep accumulating things. Organization gets harder and harder.

Back