Now I went and did it. Let the fun begin!

I have the lathe all set up and working, I tried my best to get it leveled, It's pretty close. I'll work on it some more later. It took longer than I thought to get all electrics working. Thanks to Mark @mksj for all of the assistance with the VFD and lathe wiring. I still need to install the DRO but that will have to wait for a bit. I did fire it up and made a few chips, nothing fancy. I made a little spacer and other than that just turned down some down a shaft some. My greenness really shines. Sense I have never operated a lathe before it has been a real learning experience. I bought the master turning kit from PM when I ordered the lathe, of course no identification of what cutter does what. LOL

I did get the mill off the pallet today and started reading through the manual and looking at all the controls. At the same time putting a plan together to get it across the shop and into its more permanent location. That sucker is heavy!

Anyway, here are a couple of the photos of the lathe just to show that it really did happen!

20220305_174105.jpg

20220306_151400.jpg

20220306_151500.jpg

@davidpbest 's book on insert tooling... for which tools cut what etc.. "Introduction to Indexable Tooling for the Metal Lathe: A User Guide" Nice pictures too.

Dave L.

Yep, I have that book. The kit came with 5 tool bit holders, three of them I can identify.

These two I don't know what they are used for.

SCKCR10-3B and a SCBCR10-3B

Yep, I have that book. The kit came with 5 tool bit holders, three of them I can identify.

These two I don't know what they are used for.

SCKCR10-3B and a SCBCR10-3B

From PM website

Items included in this set:

1 PC SCLCR10-3 5/8″ Shank Right Hand Turning Tool
1 PC SCLCL10-3 5/8″ Shank Left Hand Turning Tool
1 PC SCMCN10-3 5/8″ Shank Straight Turning Tool
1 PC SCBCR10-3 Offset Holder with 5/8″ Shank, to use the other normally unused edge of the CCMT/CCGT Insert, so you can get maximum use out of the insert!
1 PC SCKCR10-3 Also an offset holder for using the unused part of the CCMT/CCGT Insert!
1 PC S08Q-SCLCR-3 1/2″ Shank Boring Bar
1 PC S12R-SCLCR-3 3/4″ Shank Boring Bar
10 PC CCGT 300 Series INSERT FOR Aluminum/Brass (Silver Color Inserts)
10 PC CCMT 300 Series INSERT FOR STEEL/Stainless Steel (Gold Color Inserts)
6 PC EXTRA SCREWS FOR INSERTS
Insert Wrench
Aluminum Case as shown

Replacement inserts are the common CCGT or CCMT Series inserts. For example, CCMT-321

This was for the full turning and boring set.

Thanks XR650, I was just going to post the same thing.

The SCKCR holder is for facing the end of a part, and the SCBCR is for turning the diameter. As noted above they both use the obtuse corner of the insert, saving the acute angle for when it's needed: i.e. turning to a shoulder, etc.

I use those tools for the initial operations on almost every piece I turn.

-Pete

I haven't had much time to play with the lathe yet, but I did get out there yesterday and learned how to make some threads. Well, at least I was able to make some threads, but I still have a lot of learning to go to do it correctly. For the most part yesterday, I just played around trying to turn down a rod trying to hit a particular size. It tougher than I thought it would be. Kind of reminded me of working with wood. No matter how many times I cut it, it was always too short. LOL. I need to learn how to read the dials a little better. I still feel pretty good for only being the second time in my life operating a lathe.

Tim

20220311_180405.jpg

While cleaning up the mill I found that only one of the X axis locks were working. I found that one of the push rods between the lock lever and the gib was missing. After a little trial an error I was able to get the original one out, the rusty one on the right. I was able to make a another one for the one missing. Now they are both working!

Tim

20220307_135342.jpg

Back