NT30 to R8

minsk

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
so i have chance to get a real nice rf45 clone. it appears to be nt30 not r8. i have tons of tts tooling i use on my r8 mill so this saddens me. How difficult would it be to convert the nt30 to r8. Are the same taper. My understanding is that nt30 is a shorter taper. Any help is welcomed. Thanks for reading my rant

The R8 has a dog in the spindle that keeps the collet or toolholder from spinning in the socket, the NMTB30 and NT30 has their dogs on the toolholder.
You can use the 30 taper, but it may spin under heavy loads.

The R8 has a dog in the spindle that keeps the collet or toolholder from spinning in the socket, the NMTB30 and NT30 has their dogs on the toolholder.
You can use the 30 taper, but it may spin under heavy loads.
but r8 wont even fit will it...isnt it a diff taper...i would not goo up all the way...i know id have to make a new draw bar also...

Once you use 30 taper, you would not want to go back to R8, tools are much easier to change, and there is no dog point screw to shear off and 30 has a positive drive with 2 keys. Both of my mills have 30 taper, my B&S mill has a universal angle head that took 30 taper camlock tooling, I bored out the spindle to accept a drawbar and milled the spindle end for the keys, my Fray mill came with the 30 taper spindle, so I can use the same tooling for both; I picked up the tooling on e bay mostly, pretty much on the cheap, as it seems not much used generally.

Once you use 30 taper, you would not want to go back to R8, tools are much easier to change, and there is no dog point screw to shear off and 30 has a positive drive with 2 keys. Both of my mills have 30 taper, my B&S mill has a universal angle head that took 30 taper camlock tooling, I bored out the spindle to accept a drawbar and milled the spindle end for the keys, my Fray mill came with the 30 taper spindle, so I can use the same tooling for both; I picked up the tooling on e bay mostly, pretty much on the cheap, as it seems not much used generally.
thank you...i have all this lovely tts tooling now tho :p

If you go from NMTB 30 to R8 with an adapter, you will loose a lot of table height.
Martin

i use tts now on my round column mill..takes seconds to change

Back