NT30 to R8

Somebody makes them somewhere:

CNC lathe Milling arbor series R8 adapter NT30-R8​

this is what i searched for...there is one on ali-baba...might snag it until i find all the nt30s i need..i have like 25 tts :p. ...or if someone on here had some for sale id snag them

From what I read 30 taper is no more rigid than R8 as they're the same size on the large end. The one advantage though is you have a positive drive.

From what I read 30 taper is no more rigid than R8 as they're the same size on the large end. The one advantage though is you have a positive drive.
i think the ears make them stronger

Once you use 30 taper, you would not want to go back to R8, tools are much easier to change, and there is no dog point screw to shear off and 30 has a positive drive with 2 keys. Both of my mills have 30 taper, my B&S mill has a universal angle head that took 30 taper camlock tooling, I bored out the spindle to accept a drawbar and milled the spindle end for the keys, my Fray mill came with the 30 taper spindle, so I can use the same tooling for both; I picked up the tooling on e bay mostly, pretty much on the cheap, as it seems not much used generally.

If you go from NMTB 30 to R8 with an adapter, you will loose a lot of table height.
Martin
Hi, my Nichols horizontal mill has a NMBT 40 taper. I have a Carboloy collet holder that uses TG100 collets all of which I found on e-bay. I agree with you on the loss of table height and that is a big problem. I know minsk has a 30 taper but I would get in touch with a tooling supplier to see if they are available in 30 taper. It would make it a lot easier to work with. Thanks.

Hi, my Nichols horizontal mill has a NMBT 40 taper. I have a Carboloy collet holder that uses TG100 collets all of which I found on e-bay. I agree with you on the loss of table height and that is a big problem. I know minsk has a 30 taper but I would get in touch with a tooling supplier to see if they are available in 30 taper. It would make it a lot easier to work with. Thanks.
nmtb30 are way more spensive than tts. I found a few 45.00 holders which i bought...if any one has any for sale id deff be into buying them...my drawbar is 1/2-13

i have some erickson collets tg75 that someone just gave me...42 of them in like 1/32 increments. i just scored the nmtb collet holder for them on fleabay...so that was a nice score. the mill i got i purchased for 500.00 with fagor 40i DRO...shars power feed...and a mister.. the table has 26 inches of travel on x...15 on y...pretty nice score..i had a round column before that...which i did not enjoy except for the r8 to tts tool system i had rigged up...i really want to do a pnuematic drawbar with this...but then i have to switch to iso 30 and the pull studs... ugh...im jsut a novice...but i have fun

i have some erickson collets tg75 that someone just gave me...42 of them in like 1/32 increments. i just scored the nmtb collet holder for them on fleabay...so that was a nice score. the mill i got i purchased for 500.00 with fagor 40i DRO...shars power feed...and a mister.. the table has 26 inches of travel on x...15 on y...pretty nice score..i had a round column before that...which i did not enjoy except for the r8 to tts tool system i had rigged up...i really want to do a pnuematic drawbar with this...but then i have to switch to iso 30 and the pull studs... ugh...im jsut a novice...but i have fun
Overall you scored big time. To have someone give you the TG75 collets is incredibly nice. To me unless your'e doing production work I feel the air powered draw bar may or may not be needed. Thanks. Charlie.

Overall you scored big time. To have someone give you the TG75 collets is incredibly nice. To me unless your'e doing production work I feel the air powered draw bar may or may not be needed. Thanks. Charlie.
you are right ..but im a tech nerd...oh and im lazy.. :) ....this is going to be converted to cnc...i converted a 3-1 mill drill lathe...but the back lash was to much..

Back